Pigeons nesting and poo nuisance on 2 story house

We were invaded by 10 pigeons which nested under the Solar and were smelly , poop and noisy visitors.
Removal of the nest for $400 was very temporary. – 3 days.
No permanent solutions could be found for 2 story roof !!!
Problem SOLVED ---- use a lazer pointer ! It really disturbs them and they go away immediately. They return two times but then permanently GO !
Works on European Myna as well.

2 Likes

I would be very cautious about using a laser pointer on any animal. As laser pointers can cause eye injuries, either temporary or permanent, using such devices to ‘scare’ animals could be seen as being ‘cruel’ and thus may expose one to prosecution.

Therefore it can’t be recommended to use or point laser pointers towards any living animal.

3 Likes

OK then – The exposure is brief as aiming is difficult, and at a range of some 20 metres plus .
Then how to control pigeons on second level roof ?? - To control the huge and widespread dirty and infective “poop” ??
Errol Firminger

1 Like

To stop them nesting under the solar panels, mesh can be used around the perimeter of the installation to prevent the pigeons (and other animals/vermon) gaining access. As they are nesting under the panels, being on the roof makes it attractive place to be for the pigeons. Remove the nesting opportunity by physical barriers and they most likely will go elsewhere to make their nests.

4 Likes

Something like this can be useful

It may be worth getting a pest control expert in to recommend solutions that will be effective for your problem. If using a laser pointer accidentally affects someone flying nearby the penalties could be huge. While a user may be careful, there is no real surety that it won’t create a hazard for a pilot.

4 Likes

Yeah - well - tried mesh around solar – and spikes in some ledge areas – still about 10 birds STRUTTING and POOPING on solar and on gutter edges - so to paths.!
This is a real problem the poop is extensive , and blocks solar –
Any other suggestions ?? The pointer is very brief and totally effective !

1 Like

It is my understanding that laser pointers with a power greater than 1 milliwatt are illegal in Australia.

https://www.birdbeam.com.au/post/2018/05/20/the-skinny-on-laser-laws-in-australia#:~:text=Laser%20pointers%20are%20prescribed%20as,Control%20of%20Weapons%20Regulations%202000.

1 Like

This is a commercial pointer and so —I guess conforms – How do I find the power???

AND what control do you suggest ???

ALSO Bird control Aust offer laser at $670 each. Ebay has lots at $20 each !!!
Errol F.

1 Like

What can be sold or bought in Australia is not always congruent to what can be legally used.

2 Likes

If you are suggesting one of these, just because it is available for sale in Australia does not mean it is legal to use it as suggested.

Noted in the safety instructions it has a long range and advice not to look directly into the beam. The power rating of the laser is also ambiguously stated. It’s either 2x1mW or 100mW + 50mW. How might installing/using the device affect other residents and wildlife in your area?

At the premium price of 1cent less than $670 it would be a rip off of it was only 2x1mW output. It’s also intended as a fixed ground level installation if used outdoors. The suggestion is it may only be appropriate for indoor use?

P.S.
Aside from the risk of complaints from those in the area to local police, and subsequent action, it would be prudent before purchasing to discuss with your local council. All have pest management and wildlife protection staff who should be able to advise whether using the device is likely to breech any environmental and wildlife protection legislation.

1 Like

These are different to a handheld laser pointer. The bird control lasers might need special permits to use in rural areas, especially where laser output is ≥1mW. They are visual deterrents and aren’t devices which are pointed directly at birds. If a laser is pointed directly and intentionally at a bird, as indicated above, it is likely to be considered’cruelty to animals’ which could get a user in hot water with law enforcement very quickly.

In relation to using any hand held laser, like a pointer, this website has useful information:

It is worth noting that shooting blanks from a gun can effective bird deterrent in rural areas where the operator has appropriate permits/licences. Shooting blanks, like laser, could be effective control method to keep birds off the roof. But like lasers, doing so in a urban area will most definitely get one into hot water. One can’t justify a hand held laser use because some other laser type product is sold for permitted use in non-urban areas.

3 Likes

I suspect it is the higher values, it is drawing much power to produce 1mW of output. Also 1 mW sprayed over 60 degrees would not be terrifically bright. Maybe the lesser figures are what is on the box and the higher what comes out of the lens?

1 Like

My housemate had an extreme love of pigeons and would feed wild ones in our yard, to the point that we constantly had about 50 of them hanging around our one-storey roof and little suburban courtyard. Eventually one or more of them nested under our solar panels. Although I hated the noise they made when they all decided to take off at once, I never detected any smell and even the infrequent rain cleaned their poop off the solar panels. So maybe you could just let them be.

1 Like

The most effective and permanent solution is to exclude them from their chosen nesting/roosting site under the panels. Light mesh is all that is required. There are various professionally supplied, install also available or DIY is you are able to set and work safety at heights. One such provider, Bird Proofing Buildings | Bird-X-Peller Australia & NZ.

The benefit of exclusion is it works now and into the future discouraging more than the current generation of pigeons. Something more aggressive strategies do not assure. Prevention is better than cure.

2 Likes

You could try a bird scarer - you have to get it up there to start with but it worked for us. No more stinky birds pooping on our solar panels.

1 Like

Which ever strategy works it’s important to be persistent and to get in early. Pigeons are naturally inclined to roost around buildings. Pigeons tend to adopt a particular location or site. Once they have successfully bred at that location they will continue to use it and so will their offspring. One reason why pigeons can be so readily trained to return home.

Keeping them off one’s own roof is rather futile if there are neighbouring or nearby properties accepting the continued presence of pigeons. It can require a community response to make the whole area less welcoming. Removing individuals is not a solution. It only creates more room for others to move in.

P.S.
We are fortunate. Our bird deterrents are all natural, 1.5-2.5m long, and happy to climb onto the roof. Although they tend to be less active in winter. We’ve tried rubber version of the same with varying degrees of success. The native birds tend to work it out. While we have native doves and pigeons, they seem to be happy to find somewhere else to nest. We do have PV.

2 Likes

I just spent $200 on having the poop cleaned off - the cleaner said it was the dirtiest roof he had cleaned !!! Rain here just does not clean it at all ! Feeding the dirty bids just breeds MORE. I hope I do not get any STUPID neighbors who feed Pigeons !!

1 Like

Tried mesh but nested against it !!

Interesting – what “bird scarer” did you use ??
Thanks Errol