Pies : Meat pies , frozen , fresh , which brand do you buy?

Like I said, I expect a beef pie to contain real muscle type beef. I take note of what is said on the product, and if it doesn’t meet my expectations then they have lost me as a customer.

2 Likes

Thats why I was buying them, then about 4 months ago I bought some and there was just a couple of pathetic little chunks, and the rest was gravy. I dont buy them anymore, Four and Twenty were better.

1 Like

It is somewhat ironic that both Herbert Adams and Four N Twenty are owned by Patties Foods.

I have found the Four N Twenty Angus range of pies to be the best of Patties offerings.

If the norm is a questionable pie, that reflects on the brand and product. But statistically most of us will get an occasional substandard pie from even the best mass market brand because of the manufacturing process being what it is.

Those beaut deli and pie shop pies are $5-7++ each, not $5-7 per two, and low volume hand made so they can do better QA, yet there can still be a chunk with gristle although not so much a glob of fat.

Always take a photo of a bad pie and ask for a refund because of unacceptable quality, and if inclined report it to the manufacturer. If it is inedible take the photo and bag it, just in case. The manufacturer sometimes responds quite well, especially those who market as premium products.

3 Likes

There are bakeries that produce bread, cakes and pies. And then there are bakeries that “Should Never” waste their talents on producing any form of savoury filled pastry, let alone charge the premium price!

The perfect sausage roll or pastie remains elusive. At the current gourmet price ($4+) for over the counter sausage rolls most are far from gourmet.

The call remains:

2 Likes

Not any more.

As I have posted previously, Garlos sausage rolls are the best factory sausage rolls I have ever tasted.

They are also better than the vast majority of bakery sausage rolls.

The only ones I have ever eaten to equal them were the ones that were sold at Qld Railway Refreshment Rooms some 50 years ago, especially the one at Tully.

I regularly eat 2 of their junior sausage rolls for lunch.

3 Likes

Seeing as we are nitpicking you to death :slight_smile: … a cow is a female. Beef doesn’t have to be from female cattle and indeed may more often be from male cattle. So …

Beef means from cattle. Regardless of gender.

1 Like

Ok I will in future check the packet on my Beef Pie to ensure it is from gender-neutral sources. :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

That in itself can be problematic for some.
Although a good butcher should be happy to supply beef assured of being from male (steers) rather than heifers. :wink:

2 Likes

I previously posted above regarding National Pies.

Whilst at our local Woollies yesterday, I spotted packs of 12 x National Party Pies in the deli section and a search found their Facebook post advising that they are now stocked at most Woollies in Qld.

For the purposes of impartiality, do they also stock Liberal Party Pies and Labor Party Pies …? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

In the deli display. The sign says “Pork Pies”.

1 Like

Technically it is, but the use of ‘cow’ to describe all types of bovines within a paddock has become the norm, particularly in Australia and possibly the UK based on the link.

I am yet to meet anyone (I lie, maybe one person I know who is an Ag teacher is different) who says look at the cows, steers, heifers and bulls in the paddock over there. Usually it is ‘see the cows’ or ‘see the cattle’. While the former may be technically incorrect, it has become common usage and interchangeable for cattle.

I wonder if we should rename cowboys/cowgirls (to cattleboys/cattle girls or maybe bovineboys/bovinegirls) as their name indicated that they only muster cows. :wink:

4 Likes

There are many examples where repeated errors alter reality so that it is no longer an error.

I would say: Look at the cattle. That is simple, correct and all encompassing.

3 Likes

That is certainly the right collective.

People talk about cattle ranches, cattle stations, cattle trucks, cattle droving, etc.

Likely also important is the difference when it comes to milking, breeding or anything else related to the cattle industry.

Go to a cattle sale a cow is very specifically a definition to be relied upon.

Not that I’m expecting too many out in the community needs to know the difference between cows and … No bull! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

We certainly cannot forget about the fish pie and to a lesser degree the pork pie . Boneless fillets of flat head and bream cooked in a puffy crust in a white sauce and a good dash of black pepper . I first encountered the pork pie at the local RSL (Altona ) Back in the day we had a butcher from Scotland who would drop the pies over to the Scotties in the club . When I found you ate them cold it was a bit of a put off . After a few beers I was game . Not too bad .

Arghh and the steak and mushroom pie topped with mashed potato . Sheer bliss with a dollop of mayo on top .

4 Likes

You can also use beeves or oxen.

Look here. Don’t care about the naming and gender. If it comes from a paddock and generally goes “mooo” then that’s what I want in my Beef pie. And if anyone comes back and says that there is some breed of bovine specifically cattle in some far off place that doesn’t go moo but instead emits sounds similar to Klingon, then I’m off to KFC.

3 Likes

… not if there is a magpie sitting on one of the bovines … magpies, at least in my experience, are not bovine. One can never be certain that no other entity exists in the frame of reference simply because one doesn’t notice it at the time of remark …

1 Like