Petrol Hedge trimmers

I would like recommendations on Petrol hedge trimmers please.

1 Like

Welcome to the community @Xanthe1

Choice has a buying guide
https://www.choice.com.au/outdoor/gardening/lawnmowers-and-trimmers/buying-guides/hedge-trimmer

The article includes a link to reviewed products (battery only) which is paid member content.

The wider community may be able to relate personal experience with various products. It may be useful to indicate the type of hedge plants, age/condition and size (length x height) to manage.

P.S.
I have a neighbour with a tall 3-4m hedge more than 40m long. It needs trimmers with extension poles and a work platform to maintain. Two contractors, a Ute and trailer with professional branded tools for 2+ hours. Hopefully your need is more modest?

1 Like

Thank you. We do have large and tall Murraya hedges (2.5-3 metres high & 15 metres long) so we were thinking petrol was the way to go but if members have other recommendations we would be grateful. Thank you again

2 Likes

We have about 80 metres of hedges on our property (7 individual hedges with 6 different plant species in each hedge). We considered a petrol hedger but opted with an electric one (for reliability and also weight was generally less for the equivalent petrol or battery models). Weight become an issue the longer it is held/used…and for us especially for the longest hedge which is about 35m long, 2-2.5m high and 400-500mm wide.

Downsides to mains powered electric…

• one need a conveniently located power point to plug into - best for the power circuits to have safety switches installed in the event that the lead is accidentally cut
  • a long durable extension lead (we use a 30m heavy duty lead)
  • care not to cut the lead.
  • lead can also provide resistance to using the hedger at times, especially when there isn’t sufficient slack in the lead at the hedger end
  • pruning at heights greater than one’s reach can be challenging, but possibly no more so that other types.

Upsides to main powered electric

• generally lighter making it easier to manoeuvre/hold for long periods
  • significantly quieter than petrol and similar to battery
  • generally can cut similar sized branches to petrol (ours readily cuts 15-20mm branches), and larger branches than battery ones
  • reliable and easy to start
  • cheaper to purchase and run

Things would think about for next purchase:

• getting one (for a second one) which has a extension pole for pruning high hedges (our highest is about 3 metres high, 3 metres wide and 6 metres long. Getting the branches in the middle of the top of the hedge is challenging when standing on a ladder - an extension pole would make it easier and safer.

I could be very happy to buy a mains electric one again as it is superior to a battery one and better in most respects to a petrol one. Electric may not suit everyone for some of the above reasons.

3 Likes

I have an Ozito (eg cheap Bunnings model) electric with an extension. Even though it is not terribly heavy the overall balance makes it very tiring to use unless one is on the more fit side than myself. When you go shopping balance is number 1 in my value system followed by how easily and variably the head can be adjusted.

4 Likes

Thank you so much

3 Likes

Should have said we have a Ryobi RHT6060.

Excellent point. When buying ours, I pretended to hedge when shopping around and comparing trimmers (battery, mains electricity and petrol) to find ones that felt okay (I must have looked like a duffer to those passing by)…but it is critical to do. Think…you wouldn’t buy acar without a test drive…so pretending to hedge is a good way to get the feel of the tool. Also hold it at full reach to simulate cutting up high and close to the body to simulate a tight spot. If one is considering a battery one, make sure the battery (largest capacity for the unit) is installed otherwise it will feel light and comfortable. Shop personnel will be able to do this for you. If they don’t want to install a battery or won’t let you pick them up to play with them, go elsewhere.

2 Likes

I have a split shaft Stihl RM80 which has the osclating hedger.That is ajustable cutting angles.Rotates 180 degrees.Doubles as a whipper snibber, with bump feed head,You can get other attachments eg edger,chain saw,tiller. Expensive,however go to a stihle store and try out. Check out Honda,Shindawa

2 Likes

This model reference does not match the current Stihl range. Assume it is a reference to the Kombi products with KM-nn power units (battery and petrol options).

It’s a relatively cost effective solution to meet multiple needs. The brand name cost may also be easier to justify if the equipment is used often EG weekly? The experience across the extended family with Stihl and Honda has been positive.

With petrol powered yard equipment it’s also useful to have a reliable local service/supplier nearby. That’s IMO equally important to make the right decission on the model to best meet needs followed by the brand.

2 Likes