Pet insurance

Can someone tell me what is the best pet insurance? There is so much info out there I’m now confused. Thanks

Welcome to the Community @JaneOL

What is right for one may be wrong for another. I recommend you search all the topics on the Community about pet insurance, such as

and especially pay attention to what any individual policy actually covers (reading the finer print) as well as how much.

The bottom line is there is no perfect answer and some pet owners when exposed to the realities of how pet insurance operates choose to self fund, as do some people for their own private health needs and many save significant dollars by doing that while betting they will not experience a worst case cost.

1 Like

Here is my experience with Pet Insurance Australia - I have been with Pet insurance Australia since my pup was born (2020), and their premiums started off reasonable at $55/month for my Labrador. It went up to $94/month in the next year and $125 in 2022-2023. Now I got a renewal for $160/month! I should say I had only two major claims of about $1000 in the last three years, YET PIA had their own method of calculating premium increases that resulted in this massive increase. If you opt for a new policy, my dog’s premium is $58/month (with PIA themselves)…Ridiculous that PIA charges their loyal customers more.
However, I moved to PetInsurance.Com.Au, who has the same underwriters (Hollard). They actually accepted continued cover for my dog with a premium of $57/month which includes $145 of routine car benefit.
I have had good experience with both PIA and PetInsurance.com.au. Recommend either.

I’ve only ever seen Pet Insurance as a ripoff. At one point I was considering the RSPCA insurance because they don’t get much funding, but then found that they only receive a tiny portion of the premiums because the insurance is run by someone else. I forget who. So I’m self funded. Toby is indoors for 95% of the day but that 5% outside is when he gets clobbered by rampaging outdoor only cats, and masked lapwings. He’s had two abscesses in his short (8 yrs) life which have cost… plus annual checkup and vax. The most recent abscess cost (overall) $350 which was for two vet visits and treatments including his vax And thats doable out of my pension. Pet Insurance premiums are over the top.