Pet Insurance rip off

Why do pet insurance companies say you get up to 80% refund then say oh no we will only pay $1,000 maximum on a $4,000 vet bill? After they have paid make sure that you have cancelled the policy or you will keep on being billed for the policy.

1 Like

I also had a problem with Pet insurance. I made a claim and then had to go back to previous owners for the dog’s vet history. At 12 months old I was this poor dog’s 4th owner! This requirement was not explained when I signed up. I also have another dog, and I am worried as her previous vet is no longer in business, so will her claim be rejected?

1 Like

I have just sent the claim form in and I am waiting for the response.

1 Like

There is no doubt that you need to read the fine print with pet insurance. Pre-exiting conditions are not insured so it makes little sense registering an older dog unless you can prove that the dog has no pre-existing conditions. We have three dogs insured through HCF where we have health insurance also. We got a 10% discount for being members. They are very particular about having all of the clinical notes transferred before they pay out. Two dogs were insured from when they were puppies and we had all the details from the breeders. The older dog is insured for accident only which is much cheaper. So far they have always paid out what I consider to have been a reasonable amount: close to 80%. It is definitely a case of caveat emptor, though. I consider it to be money well spent. We have had a couple of hefty Vet bills which have been paid out eventually. HCF, in general, been fairly prompt in dealing with our claims. Just the paper work needs to be spot on. We were previously with Woolworths who seemed a little more difficult to deal with. Most of the insurers seem to be underwritten by Hollards Insurance.

1 Like

I was very happy with the pet insurance I had. I guess one needs to shop around and also read the fine print, as for any insurance.

1 Like

Yes - I’m also annyoed with Pet Insurance about Vet History. The system need to be improved so they don’t need to ask us every time they ask about Vet History…

1 Like

I’ve spoken to a couple of vets who are adamant that their clinical notes are their own private property - not even the pet owner has the right to see them. Vets have no legal responsibility to turn these over to the insurers (although of course many do). One vet who has refused to hand over his files on occasion has told me that insurer has approved the pet owner’s claim with just a receipt from the vet clinic.

The reason they collect all this extra information is so they can data mine it. Insurers want to know how often certain breeds are getting certain conditions, and how much vets are charging to treat them.

2 Likes

I am content with my pet insurance. I fill it out at the vet who sends the claim off. I get a received notice and an SMS when the cheque is sent. Pet Secure has never questioned the vet–even when the vet did exploratory testing. Plus, the insurance is not cut back when my dog gets older.

1 Like

Those deceptive words - “UP TO” - mean anything from zero to 80%
Could be 75%
Could be 5%
Your example of $1000 on a $4000 bill is just 25%

Reading the “fine print” will often reveal some secrets :slight_smile:

1 Like

CHOICE has just released it’s latest pet insurance review (member content). If you have any questions, please let us know.

Just wondering how Pet Secure went. They have been excellent with me and my dog. But, the price is now almost $1000.00 a year.

Whilst we eagerly await this year’s Shonkys, here is a preview.

2 Likes