Pedantic Fern

I bought an unusual fern from a stall at the monthly market at our local shopping centre late last year.

It reminded me of a book leaf palm but it is the most pedantic plant we have ever seen.

When it is happy, the fronds are fully unfurled and are bright green.

Whe it is a little bit sad, it curls th etips of its fronds and they appear whitest.

And when it is really unhappy, it curls all its fronds up and they all look whitesh.

It is totally irrespective of the moisture content in the pot and watering it does not make much difference, but leaving it out in the rain does.

I think it must grow naturally under waterfalls or underwater.

I am sure the man at the market mentioned something about it growing really tall and a goose laying golden eggs so maybe I was scammed.

3 Likes

If buying an unfamiliar plant I ask if the specie is not on the label. Any vendor who doesn’t know is a risk. If you know the species then you can find out how best to look after it.

I am far from a fern expert but that one may not be a fern at all but one of the fern-like allies.

2 Likes

Hi Fred. It might be worthwhile to post your pics/commentary on this FB Group: as an aid to identification. It has recently been rebadged to the name below.
About

The Dream Store for Gardeners

www.aussiegardener.com.au

This group is where every day Aussies with a passion for gardening can talk, laugh and d…

See more

Private

Only members can see who’s in the group and what they post.

Visible

Anyone can find this group.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia · Adelaide, South Australia · Sydney, Australia · Hobart Town, Tasmania, Australia …

See more

General group

3 Likes

It is likely the potting mix is hydrophobic, which often occurs with organic matter when it dries. Solution is to dunk the pot in a bucket of water such the water level is just below brim of the pot (otherwise the potting mix might float away), and leave for about 30 minutes. Then remove and let drain.

Rain is often better than a quick water as the slower addition of water allows it to wet up slowly an overcome the hydrophobic properties. …until such time it dries out again.

This is a classic symptom of water stress in a fern. It isn’t a special fern that does this, but common amongst ferns especially in pots or in dry soil times.

3 Likes

My wife had repotted it and even had it sitting in a larger pot of water which made no difference.

I have had the moisture meter in the pot and it has had the same reading when the fern is happy, a little sad, or very sad.

It was looking sad late yesterday afternoon but was looked very happy first thing this morning even thoug hwe only got a couple of mm of rain overnight.

It is now looking very sad again despite the moisture meter reading having hardly changed.

I think we will just plant in in the garden.

Problem child.

1 Like

You could try a wetting agent or some dishwashing liquid to see if that improves the “wetting” of the mix. It only requires a small amount of dishwash detergent, less than what you would normally use for a sink ( 3 to 5 ml should be very adequate mixed in to 5 litres or so of water). Water the soil/potting mix and avoid getting it on the fronds.

1 Like

This could also be the issue. The roots were disturbed, the new potting mix might not have good contact with the original potted soil. Plant could also be in shock if roots were disturbed.

Ferns typically don’t like to much water, nor dry conditions…a Goldie Locks where everything needs to be just right. Soil is damp, but not wet nor dry.

Overwatering can also cause leaves to wilt too…lack of oxygen to the roots.

2 Likes

Possibly not.

Establishing what type of fern it is and the typical environment or growing conditions might be your only hope.

Ferns are adapted to particular environments. EG growing on rock faces, in crevices, coastal sandy eucalyptus forests, etc. Ferns and the fern-like allies have root systems adapted to the local soil or no soil or rockery or … conditions. Yours might prefer, cool humid, and hanging off a rock where the roots have both plenty of air flow (oxygen) and moisture to stop the roots drying our. Potting mix or garden soil might be exactly the opposite of what your fern needs?

3 Likes

These guys and girls don’t know much about geese, might be happy to receive any spare golden eggs, and are really good with plants.

Very local (almost) the herbarium is at JCU Smithfield.
I’ve used the services of their counterpart in Brisbane to ID unusual plants. Send or take in a sample or phone and email some pics. :grin:

2 Likes

Try talking to it! Or play it music and see what happens. You may be surprised…

You know @Fred123, maybe it is a bit like a lemon tree. A bit of you know what helps. See if Bailey wants to go three legged when passing. :laughing:

It’s really pretty though, even when it isn’t happy.

1 Like