Peanut Butter Review and Compare | CHOICE

How does a peanut butter product that has over 370mg of sodium (most brands) compared to Sanitorium 4mg but most brands state no added salt whereas Sanitorium states added salt? Is that a typo?

3 Likes

Hi @Stefmil, welcome to the community.

It appears the information on the sodium levels reported in the Choice review comes from the nutritional labelling on the products. The ingredient lists are those on the labelling and the information in the table appears to be correct.

In relation to variations in sodium levels between products with no added salt claims, the variation can result from where the peanuts are grown (plants can take sodium from soils) and other ingredients added to the product (such as oil or preservatives).

4 Likes

If you look at the back label on the two Sanitarium products that Choice describes as No added salt = false, you will see that the maker lists salt as an ingredient in both cases. The two that list salt have 416 and 536 mg/100g sodium.

The other 4 Sanitarium products that Choice marks as No added salt = true, do not list salt on the label as an ingredient and all are between 1 and 4 mg/100g sodium.

I cant see any Sanitarium PB with 4mg/100g salt that says added salt. I think you have mixed up some of the rows/columns on the comparison grid.

4 Likes

Why buy Sanitarium peanut butter? It is made from imported peanuts, probably from China. I buy Bega black lid “Simply Nuts” peanut butter, probably the only Australian owned, Australian made peanut butter, using 100% Australian grown peanuts, also it 100% Aussie owned, not like Sanitarium the 7th day Adventist Church which is overall American owned.

2 Likes

Bega peanut butter labels show that their normal peanut butter is made “with imported and local ingredients.” Sanitarium Australia is owned by Australian Health and Nutrition Association Ltd which owned by the Seventh-day Adventist Church. ASIC also shows that Australian Health and Nutrition Association Ltd is an Australian Public Company. It is 100% Australian owned. Sanitarium in NZ is 100% NZ owned. They are separate, but sister companies. A majority of it’s board of directors are also non-church employed professional directors.

View Details - Organisations and Business Names (asic.gov.au)

As a side note Kellog’s was originally created by Seventh-day Adventists too, but is not related to the church in anyway.

2 Likes

It would be intresting to know what the “local ingredients” are in Sanitarium peanut butter are, that also applies to some Bega peanut butter that uses imported nuts.
I did say that it is Bega black lid “Simply Nuts” that is made with 100% Australian peanuts. Bega like Saniturim also makes peanut butter from imported peanuts. If people want to support Australian farmers, Bega Simply Nuts is the peanut butter they should be buying.

“Simply Nuts” has no added sugar or salt or only low salt in some versions.

I have no association with Bega, I just like good peanut butter and I like to support Aussie farmers.

3 Likes

It is probable Bega will squeeze some locals out of business or Bega’s imported content will rise, or both. At the end of the day it is about P/L and little else where the lowest suppliers in a chain get squeezed the hardest, and the last profits the most more often than not.

2 Likes