PayPal users scammed by Onhui technology

Myself and many pay pal users have been scammed by a company -Onhui Technology- who has tricked everyone in the same way:

• advertised an item for sale
  • sent a $1 item instead ( to show they delivered ‘something’)
  • pretend return of item before refunding
  • Item is returned
    -pretend they never received it
  • no refund
    PayPal is being totally unhelpful and in spite of so many cases ( pay pal community forum is full of examples) and clear widespread scam, buyers continue to be the victims!
    Any suggestion on what we can do to resolve?? Completely disappointed in PayPal service as well which seems in this case to be backing this scammer…
    Thanks for any help!
8 Likes

They certainly have scathing reviews on Trustpilot with 209 out of 211 reviews being 1 star.and the two 5 star reviews being mistakenly placed there instead of 1 star.

https://au.trustpilot.com/review/24helpfriends.com

Of course the disgusting Communist Chinese government will take action against these Chinese scammers so as to protect their reputation.

Oops, I forgot. What reputation?

3 Likes

A few posts down on this paypal forum post suggests perseverance with paypal may pay off. Note peterco’s post of Dec-02-2020 05:29 PM although the subsequent post by carbria w/request for ‘what was the secret’ remains unanswered.

An 2nd alternative if paypal holds firm is to ask your issuer for a chargeback if you funded your paypal transaction with a credit card.

5 Likes

Done this and always paid with credit cards
As others did
And returned the cheap item they sent
But nothing happened yet
Pay pal keeps postponing the dispute closure date
Mine is ongoing since October… very disappointing…

8 Likes

With a record and reputation such as Onhui have seemingly and rightly ‘earned’ it is a wonder paypal has not banned them from its payment service.

5 Likes

It’s not just a particular company I believe. My husband recently purchased from a facebook ad. If the company purchased from is Chinese, then their consumer laws apply according to PayPal. So we have to return the cheaper item received in order to get a refund through PayPal. Noting the only reason for buying through PayPal is to avoid this situation! I notified our bank and received a refund from them, hoping they will sort out PayPal. I have insisted he now buys buy from an Australian company even if the item is to be shipped from China. Another thing to note is that PayPal can reverse a ruling in your favour - this has happened to us too.

7 Likes

We have adopted the same approach, unless we feel comfortable with losing the money for a dud item, then we will risk an foreign purchase.

Unfortunately with Facebook there is no monitoring of advertisements and many seem to be highly misleading (real life toy dogs is a classic example) or scams (fitbit/health type watches or miraculous weightloss pills are examples). I personally wouldn’t be buying anything by clicking on a Facebook advertisement as it will most likely lead to disappointment.

3 Likes

yes. It has taken a couple of dud purchases for my husband to agree with me :stuck_out_tongue: If it looks too good to be true, then buyer beware. Lesson learnt (I hope!)

8 Likes

Paypal is ridiculously hard to deal with when it comes to disputes, IMHO to the extent that they’re obstructionist. Even typing in the details of the dispute is difficult because IIRC you can only see about two short lines of text at any time and the asinine responses are a treat…never underestimate the attrition you can achieve by annoying people who are already annoyed, they probably even have a stat for it.

The claim that buyer protection is their point of difference is ludicrous when it’s so hard to utilise that protection. When the seller is dodgy, and the buyer protection is dodgy, it’s easy to fall between the cracks. @BrendanMays can we give PayPal a Shonky Award for offering something and not providing it?

5 Likes

I have only ever had one occassion when I have needed to request PayPal to refund my money after the useless clowns at CBA Mastercard failed miserably.

PayPal were brilliant.

1 Like

I stopped using PayPal and closed Facebook. Very happy and more time for my family.

3 Likes

Yes definitely hard to deal and since November they have postponed the resolutions two days at a time… continuously
Last date is now 29 December but I have no confidence
So far I’m about 70$ out of pocket and they are kit considering refunding even the expenses to return the wrong 1$ item as … the post office did not have pay pal payment!!! I have paid with my credit card and have all receipts but no… they won’t refund
I’m so so annoyed also as I have sent a few emails with complaints but have not received one single response not acknowledgement at all!! This is the contrary of customer service and yes the shonky award is very well deserved by them!

You should lodge a chargeback (dispute) with your credit card issuer before the time limit to do so expires.

edit:

that is a common technique to ‘expire’ the time the customer has to lodge formal complaints for restitution with payment and purchase platforms and credit card issuers. Do not play the game. It is their game. It is a game.

3 Likes

They did the same to me sent me a 1 pound watch I didn’t order then said sent it back for a refund , my order was shoe storage boxes I also paid delivery they scammed me like 40 pounds please do no buy anything you will have this done to you!!

If you see this site, best to stay clear

I have also found dealing with PayPal exceptionally hard when trying to get a refund. They were really good some years back, refund acknowledged within 30 minutes. That all changed when eBay bought the company from Elon Musk. The next time I attempted to get a refund from them it didn’t happen and had to go through the credit card provider, who charge a $29 fee for the ‘service’. Stopped using eBay a couple of years ago when I bought a mobile phone from as Aussie provider on their website, who provided ‘grey’ phones from South Korea. eBay has ‘standardised’ merchant product pictures and product text, which means they use the same picture for a product regardless of the seller’s photo and description. I had checked the Australian network coding for 4G, the phone description stated it was 4G, and included the Australian network coding in the description, but the phone was 3G. Will never use eBay again. Have been told by others of products they have purchased on eBay and what they received was not as advertised on eBay

1 Like

That is unusual in my experience. I am aware there is a ‘dispute administration fee’ at least in the EU, but I have never heard of it being charged to a customer before.

Was your dispute upheld or rejected? Would you name the provider?

2 Likes

A post I saw on the PayPal Community.

And reviews for Onhui on Trustpilot.

What a disgusting bunch of grubs.

The provider is Visa who charged the fee. The dispute for $70 was upheld, so I received a credit back of $41

1 Like

Regardless of whether it was a visa or mastercard, the fee was charged or passed through by your visa card issuer. In my experience that is unusual. Visa International does not directly issue cards. Who is your card issuer?

1 Like

Hi @Sneakdiddy. The .xyz top level domain is supposed to be the 4th most used TLD now, but I must say I have yet to see any that have slipped through my email provider into my inbox, or seen links to from other sources.