PayPal Buyer Protection

Hi all - I’m currently updating CHOICE’s content on PayPal’s Buyer Protection function. The scheme promises to refund a user’s purchase and original shipping costs if there’s something wrong with a purchase they’ve made through PayPal.

I’m wondering if any community members have recently used this program and what they thought of it. Were you successful? Was it easy to use? Thanks!

7 Likes

I have twice, without issues both times.
Last time would have been three years ago.
Yes, was succesful
Yes, was easy
Speed in time is what I expected.
Also had a couple of issues, would be two years ago. Within days of lodging the PayPal dispute the issue was rectified by the seller both times. The sellers know that PayPal don’t mess around and have a low tolerance for dodgy traders.
I use PayPal extensively and for everything I pay for overseas. Everything always works with PayPal. If you have a query, you send an e-mail, they reply. Cannot fault PayPal. Wish other online financial institutions and businesses were as good and reliable.

9 Likes

AS with @Monica_D above- I have used it several times. Each time the process is similar to the commercial bank - “Credit Card Chargeback”.

Both times I received a refund the same day :grinning:

7 Likes

Used in 2020 successfully (COVID airline ticket refund delay.)

I received some updates that it was changing and it did not look as comprehensive as it once was.

It only applies to goods, not services. Proof of shipment is proof for PayPal, not proof of delivery which is at odds with me.

3 Likes

I haven’t used it but what I have found very recently is it is potentially causing issues for retailers & in turn for consumers. A family member did an online purchase for an $800 item. She then got a email by the retailer asking her to send an image of her drivers license. She queried it. Their reply was that among other scams/fraud this PP guarantee means that a buyer can claim 3 months or more down the track that an ordered item was not received or DOA & the consumer is refunded; the retailer charged back. In this case they claim in the case of a scam they don’t have proved identity & it limits their ability of recourse. They said provide it was non negotiable Co policy & to provide the license or cancel & re-order & pay by DD.

By the by I gave this Co feedback to indicate their policy is reckless & dangerous to the consumer. To ask for ID docs by insecure channels & no doubt store it for this sort of thing IMO is very poor form, especially in our ever increasing cyber security risky times. It’s no win - provide the proof by insecure means to have it stored out of the consumers control & retain PP guarantee or pay by DD, keep your docs to yourself, but lose your guaranteed recourse for DOA, non-delivery or any other after sales showstopper issue.

8 Likes

I believe shipping is at customers risk and not senders risk and responsibility.

2 Likes

That’s true @EricRedKnight - it only seems to cover goods, but can protect for purchases of “intangible” products like software downloads and hotel rooms. And yes, PayPal apparently won’t consider a claim for goods not received if the seller can provide proof of shipping.

4 Likes

Thanks @someozi - sounds like a concerning policy and perhaps not necessary, as PayPal says it requests documentation/information from Buyer Protection claimants, which is a process a scam buyer probably wouldn’t be able to get through.

4 Likes

I remember a few years ago PayPal refunded me money due to issues with goods from what i recollect. No problem refunding

2 Likes

The system is biased towards the buyer at all times. I have experienced on several occasions as a seller on ebay where the buyer has returned the goods damaged and not as sold, yet still received a refund at my expense. I do not sell anything on ebay for this reason. Plus the 12% fee they charge is excessive.
Conversely I have used the refund process many times as I find a lot of the sellers on ebay can’t be trusted. Win and lose.

1 Like

I was successful in receiving a full refund, including shipping costs, from a major Australian online firm which fell apart soon after the initial COVID outbreak in 2020. Most of my purchases (clothing items) were never delivered, some items were delivered twice, and I even received a pair of jeans which I had never ordered. My repeated enquires with the seller went nowhere, even though I offered to return the incorrect goods. Reps from the seller had lied outright and said that my purchase had been delivered by Australia Post, even going so far as to providing a fake APost reference number when I asked them for it (AP told me that the delivery reference number provided by the seller bore no resemblance to tracking numbers their system).
It was messy and stressful, so I gave up on corresponding with the seller.
It was easy to fill in PayPal’s complaint form, and to upload copies of my receipts showing the photo of each clothing item, and email correspondence with the firm and Australia Post as proof.
The team from PayPal went in to bat for me, gathering more evidence, grilling the sales company, and keeping me informed at every step. The PayPal staff member assigned to my case called me from the US and advised that their decision was that the sales company had failed to deliver each item of clothing in my order, so the full amount of my purchase was refunded to me. PayPal also advised that because the seller had failed to give me an answer on how to return clothes which I should not have received, I was free to keep them. I gave them to an op shop.
Brilliant response from PayPal. I only wish that I had engaged the Paypal team earlier rather than trying to battle with the seller’s incompetent and immoral staff.

2 Likes

This report is instructive on the minefield of ecommerce ‘protections’. Paypal knocked back a claim for seemingly incorrect reasons so the consumer has to fight them. Further the T&C of the online site leave gaps in who is responsible for restitution.

As we always learn we have our rights per the reference to Choice, but sometimes have to fight for them, sometimes fight hard and in cases long. A feral business’ only downside for ignoring rights at an individuals level as it currently stands is having to honour them, no penalties usually apply until actions become pervasive and egregious, and even then not applied 1:1 but to what is essentially a ‘class’ of consumers who are often not compensated although the business gets fined.

4 Likes

Same as bcgraham… I sold a lens on ebay that was sound and correctly described. The buyer lodged a PP claim saying it was not. I replied saying provide the evidence. PP wasn’t interested, froze the proceeds in my account and got the buyer to return it.
The lens was then sold to another buyer on eBay who accepted that it was sound and correctly described.

7 Likes

PayPal is fantastic consumer protection but like everything it can be abused by a particular type of buyer. I have had the exact same experience selling something on eBay. I had purchased it brand new from a retail shop and had a receipt for the item that was not used New in box). The buyer received refund from PayPal after threatening me with a negative feedback review if I did not acquiesce.
I resold the appliance again and received positive feedback and 10 years later I still have 100% positive feedback.