Password managers - recommendations?

Yes, Norton Identity Safe does,

I suspect however the csv file will need to be laid out/formatted for easy import.

1 Like

I have ended up with two password managers - one online, and one that is very definitely not. This situation was created because I was an early adopter, and I now feel more comfortable not having all my passwords available online.

I use Sticky Password for ease of use, and ease of access from any device. I have also rolled it out to my wife and my mother, having bought lifetime passes at a good price and knowing they both needed help. And we’re helping to save manatees.

Offline, I use Password Safe. It is free, open source, and was designed by Bruce Schneier (famous security guy).

It is possible that technology will be here soon that renders passwords optional, or obsolete. Google is involved in one program, but there is also something called SQRL that should be released in the next few months and is much more secure than the traditional password. It does rely upon websites adopting the standard, so may be slow in adoption or could even fail to be adopted at all.

I think most password managers provide for import of CSV, but you will need to check their layout requirements.

2 Likes

Lastpass lets you share your password vault with another trusted person.

3 Likes

The most important part of your chosen password manager is how well and how fast they respond to notification of security issues. Anything not kept current or new may be best avoided until a history of security audits confirm the password manager is secure.
Personally I use LastPass and recommend it. There is a financial model to ensure ongoing support. Has responded well and very fast to any security issues. Another reason I like LadtPass is they cannot decrypt your database and you can use various forms of two factor authentication.
Until SQRL replaces passwords I will continue to use a high quality password manager for all my passwords.

1 Like

This does raise the question how difficult it is to convince an organisation (e.g. a bank) that your loved one has passed away and you need to access their accounts. Anyone had first hand experience with this?

1 Like

If the password manager encrypts your database locally with strong encryption (e.g. 256 bit), the company providing the password manager is unlikely to be able to help one access a deceased persons datadase as they would need the password to decrypt it.

This does raise an interesting dilemma. Most organisations will aloow access to a deceased persons account (e.g. bank) if one has the necessary authority to do so, bypassing and password security which may have been previously set up for the account. It may take more time, but expect is the process to follow in relation to tidying up estates.

There has been reported challenges of accessing social media or online streaming music/movie accounts in the past and not sure the current status to do this without login details such as passwords.

1 Like

I’ll stick with my plan that I mentioned way up there ^^^^^^^^ at the beginning of the thread, and quote:

That is why my executor has (access to) the keys they will need to unlock and/or open anything I intended them to - physical and virtual. I hate to think what hoops one might have to jump through with some faceless organisations.

I believe @PhilT mentioned he had first hand experience with this kind of challenge.

2 Likes

I use RoboForm and have had little trouble they were very good with my problem. I think it is a personal feeling you get with your choice of password managers.

1 Like

Can’t believe no-one has mentioned 1Password. Fantastic integration with Mac browsers and syncs seamlessly with iOS.

1 Like

1Password was mentioned as a highly rated but paid option. Normally it is a recommended to make yearly payments for it. To cover a 5 person family it is USD$4.99 per month when paid by the year & for single user that drops to USD$2.99 per month when paid yearly.

1 Like

CHOICE members might be interested in our password manager reviews :lock:.

2 Likes

We been using 1password for many years, lucky I got it “Payed Once” before the subscription came in
It works fine on all my PC/OSX/Android/IOS devices…
Just one of the apps that I couldn’t live without it

2 Likes

Norton Identity Safe (Vault) password manager has a new function which may be useful.

Safety Dashboard in Norton Identity Safe displays the health of the logins and passwords stored in the cloud vault. It lets you increase the strength of your passwords to improve your safety score and reduce the risks associated with online safety.

Just tried it and even though it is currently a Beta function, it tells the user passwords it believes are weak and/or duplicated, and logins that are old (not used frequently) or archived.

The weak password (it provides a password strength score as a %) and duplicated password functions are particularly useful to maintain password integrity across multiple websites.

It also provides information on when the password was last changed and also recommends if one should change the password now.

A positive step in the right direction.

2 Likes

I am looking for recommendations for a secure and easy to use Password Manager. Does anyone have experience with these? Are they simple to setup and use? Do people use it for their bank passwords? With all the data breaches going on I am concerned at how secure a Password Manager would be.

4 Likes

Hi @kathy2,

There are a number of recommendations in the above thread, and experiences of some of the forum members.

Choice has also reviewed password managers (member content) in the past and provided information on how to select a manager (free to read)…

4 Likes

The Optus hacking saga now running has opened a lot of eyes to the possible need for a good password manager. Does anyone have any recommendations?
Could Choice survey the free and priced options and offer recommendations?

3 Likes

Hi @clamb17, I have moved your post to a thread which discussed password managers and provides recommendations of some of the community members.

You are correct that a good password manager is needed to manage login credentials for sites where password protected access is required.

The other important consideration is using two factor authentication when it is available. The provides an additional roadblock if someone has hacked your password and is illegitimately trying to access your online account.

An earlier post also includes a link to the Choice website where they provide information on how to select a good password manager. They did review some password managers back in 2020 (note it is paid member content), and some of their assessments may still be relevant even though there is likely to be new versions and features available today…

It may be timely for Choice (@PeterZaluzny) to review and update their assessment where necessary.

2 Likes

I’ve always said I would never use a password manager that required I keep its database on its own website… eg, 1Password.

My requirements for a manager are these

1. Must have a built in pw generator which allows upper and lower case and special characters… and be of any length
  2. Must keep its database on your computer, with or without the capacity for sync via iCloud or Dropbox

Doesn’t need to have a fancy UI… no froth and bubble. Must not be a subscription model. Initial cost can be anything,

Whenever i play in Linux I use Keepass and for Mac its Wallet - the Acrylic software version.

2 Likes

I have been using Keepass for years and the database is synced from my PC to google drive. I can use the database with an app (KeePassium) on my iPhone and can access an up-to-date list any time when not at home. It is easy and free.

2 Likes

The best password manager is the one that fits with how you operate.

If you need a password manager on a single computer, find one that suits that. If you need one that provides for multiple devices, look for a password manager that syncs the passwords. The important thing is not so much how you use a password manager, but that you use it.

Pretty much any well known password manager is going to be secure (for a certain definition of secure that changes per user). Focus less on the security and more on what works for you. Read the instructions. Download the demo version and play with it a bit. Make sure you have something you like before dedicating the effort (and possibly money) into adopting a specific password manager.

5 Likes