Paleo Pete's Quackery Record

An article regarding the false health claims made by Pete Evans.

1 Like

Thank you to Paleo Pete to trying to make people aware of the dangers of fluoride and sun gazing. There are two websites showing scientific evidence that fluoride does affect our health (long term) if people like to take the time to do the research. I have had lymphoma and been told by doctors not to swim in pools, (because of the chemicals), not to wash my hands with anything that has petrol or any other substitute. Yet I am forced to shower and bathe in water with fluoride in it because I can’t afford to place a reverse osmosis filter in the bathroom.

1 Like

Sooo two websites (not mentioned) and one celebrity chef with 0 medical qualifications think Fluoride is bad. Every professional medical and dentistry body thinks Fluoride is good at the tap water dose. Who to believe? :thinking: :thinking:

By the way, the chemical you refer to in pools is known as ‘Chlorine.’ It’s addition in tap water stops us dying from millions of waterborne bacteria. The more you know

6 Likes

Sorry to hear that you have Lymphoma.

Actually, there are many, many websites which show that the absence of flouride in drinking water has adverse effects. There are longitudinal studies which point to poor dental health where flouride is absent compared to proximal communities with flouride. You will of course realize that poor dental health often leads to other health issues too.

If you look at the research, as opposed to social media websites from people trying to sell stuff, there is no evidence of a linkage between Lymphoma and chemicals. There is general advide to stay away from weed and insect killers due to the lowered immunity you may have. There is also some small increase in the incidence of Lymphoma in occupations which have heavy & prolonged use of these chemicals. There appears to be a greater risk from breast implants.

You are no doubt aware of Lymphoma Australia resources. They claim to be “the only national charity dedicated to Lymphoma”. You could contact them and get some factual information instead of relying on unqualified people who have products that they want to sell.

Hope you get better.

5 Likes

Yes, there is scientific evidence that at higher levels, fluoride can result in adverse health effects. These levels or concentrations are far greater than that used in water fluoridation.

Fluoride is no different to almost any other compound or chemical, at high concentrations they can cause health impacts, but at low concentrations they are safe.

The following factsheet provides a very balanced and objective information on fluroide intake from water fluoridation., as it a good resource based on scientific evidence.

https://www.des.nh.gov/organization/commissioner/pip/factsheets/ard/documents/ard-ehp-14.pdf

This advice applies to anyone. Continuous petrol skin contact has risks
from additives or the hydrocarbons themselves.

8 Likes

Or the dermatitis that you will get because it strips all the oil off your skin and the local irritation it produces.

I would say ‘don’t bath in petrol’ applies to us all.

4 Likes

Others have dealt with the fluoride issue so I won’t repeat that.

Pete is actually in favour of sun gazing not making us aware of its dangers.

I wonder if we could crowd fund a study to determine if sun gazing causes loss of IQ in celebrity chefs who sell snake oil.

6 Likes

And it is also addressed in detail in this thread as well:

4 Likes

This is slightly off topic but it does explain how I feel about Pete Evans own practices.

The vast majority of scientific research can be twisted to a different meaning by taking a few lines out of context. A hypothesis can be presented as a finding, the independent variables can be excluded, one adverse finding can be taken from 99 safe findings.

As such I struggle to take websites like the one you listed seriously. They’ve presented an apparent finding and as @syncretic mentioned it’s not clear where they got that conclusion from despite them linking articles they claim support them.

If you wish to make a claim, might I suggest linking the DIRECT study you have obtained it from, preferably with a page or excerpt number.

5 Likes

Fluoridation has served dental health well.

I was surprised when looking for household water filtration just how prominently some products that aim to remove fluoride are promoted.

The product promotions offer supposed benefits well beyond fluoride removal.

One very expensive filtration product offers:

STAGE 7
The Infra-Red filter can activate water molecules in our body, warming and eliminating fats, chemicals and toxins from our blood and thus smoothening the flow of blood.

Is this illustration relating to the IR Filtration of water ‘puffery’ or should like claims be disallowed in product promotion? Snake oil is too kind a description.

Another typical example of professionally produced marketing for a one filter does all solution,

https://www.alkaway.com.au/lp/fluoridated-drinking-water-safe/?utm_term=&utm_campaign=UltraStream+AU&utm_source=adwords&utm_medium=ppc&hsa_acc=9568446429&hsa_cam=102013493&hsa_grp=84614505552&hsa_ad=397721415243&hsa_src=g&hsa_tgt=dsa-841731814028&hsa_kw=&hsa_mt=b&hsa_net=adwords&hsa_ver=3&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsa_ejfWi6gIVCH8rCh3otgFjEAMYAiAAEgJxzPD_BwE

Paleo Pete is not alone in misleading product placement. Should consumers expect the marketing of products using claims that are subjective and dubious to be more effectively regulated? At least where the marketing promotes poor health outcomes.

6 Likes

I saw his interview a few weeks back and was taken by his smugness as much as anything he said. He kept re-iterating he was open minded but always went back to his conspiracy theories. It was as if ‘I know there are enough fools to believe me and it helps my bad-boy income and thus is good’.

5 Likes

I started watching the 7 June interview with 60 minutes. Even the most professional and skilled interviewer (Liz Hayes) could not extract any clarity. I got half and hour into the 1 1/2 hours and quit as my head hurt too much.

In that half hour he presented ignorance and uncertainty as being open minded, he repeatedly mentioned that there are so many views and philosophies and this prevents him from saying that other people are wrong. It was all so woolly and unrelated to evidence. This approach, that we must be so tolerant and accepting of diversity, leads into refusing to accept that there is any objective reality and that humans are unable to determine that any view is a more accurate understanding of the world than any other. In such a world data and evidence cannot be used to decide between competing ideas.

It follows from this philosophy you can say anything you like and you cannot be called to account or required to defend what you say. In refusing to say anybody else is wrong he expects to buy the same get-out-of-jail-free card for himself. Bollocks.

He also presented the fallacy that because understanding of a topic (of COVID19) is not complete all that is said about it is suspect. So very sophomoric.

6 Likes

Paleo Pete strikes again.

If it looks like a quack, it walks like a quack and it sounds like a quack, it is probably Paleo Pete.

Quack. Quack.

3 Likes

I don’t think it matters that 79% of anti-vaxers or Paleo Pete’s crowd oppose compulsory vaccination.

They should wonder why the other 21% disagreed. Would any poll sponsored by an antivax agenda reach other than like minds?

2 Likes

It would be further proof of Charles Darwin’s “Theory Of Evolution By Natural Selection”.

1 Like

More stupidity from Paleo Pete and his loony friends.

Time for some humour?

3 Likes

Not a great article from SBS.

He said the refusing of tests in Victoria was an example of social media misinformation having real-world impacts.

Without any data to substantiate that claim, we can’t know how much influence social media has had vs. other reasons for people to refuse tests. In every way, this article is heavy on opinion and light on evidence.

And

“The problem is that in the absence of accessible in-language information being available at people’s fingertips, people will go elsewhere for that information, whether that be from their country of origin, social media or from friends and family.”

Although what has happened on the ground is:

Residents inside the nine public housing towers under lockdown translated an information sheet about the restrictions and public health measures needed to contain Covid-19 into 10 different languages. This information was distributed within the affected buildings via social media and text messaging in just 24 hours.

When the Coronacast programme (ABC radio), asked people in lockdown suburbs to phone in why they didn’t want to be tested, answers included:

• The requirement to stay home from work until the results are available (2 days), which is unaffordable for many casual workers (this was a very common one)

• having had major intrusive therapy recently (for cancer) and not being able to cope with a nasal swab (hopefully OK now saliva testing is becoming more available)

An online search on media reporting on the COVID19 situation in Melbourne shows a lot of emotive language and little substance.

3 Likes

I thought that this charlatan and his ilk actually claimed that vaccinations caused autism.

Talk about egg on his face. Lucky eggs are in his shonky paleo diet.

1 Like

It’s possible that Chris Evans does, I’m not sure. But it fits the satire perfectly!

2 Likes