Packaging Airspace

We recently bought a bottle of Nature’s Way multivitamins. When we opened it we were amazed at how much empty space there was in the bottle.

It’s a little hard to tell from the photos, but the main part of the bottle is 110mm high, and the contents come up to 25mm, so 85mm is just empty wasted space.

I’d love to know why.

(And just for information, I know that most people don’t need to take vitamin supplements, but I’ve had surgery which limits my intake, so they’re prescribed.)

2 Likes

Some of the answers can be found in an existing topic.

1 Like

Thanks Mark. And yes, you could well be right - that it’s intentionally deceptive to make you think that you’re getting more than you are.

1 Like

I’m just shaking my head at that-what a joke. This is the sort of plastic waste that needs to be addressed pronto…

1 Like

Hope you are feeling better after your surgery.

I have moved your post to the existing topic that @mark_m referenced.

Perhaps a more innocuous explanation is that Nature’s Way have one size packaging for the larger quantities of tablets, capsules etc.

The size of different products will vary, eg the Vitamin E capsules can be much larger than the multivitamin tablets in your picture, so 200 of them might fill the container to a higher level. They also sell them in lots of 450, so the container would have quite a high tide mark.

So maybe it’s cheaper for them to standardise on a lower number of containers, even if they only utilize a portion of the internal space? On the other hand, maybe they want you to think (from the outside) that you are getting as good a deal as you would from their competitors?

2 Likes

This example came via Twitter. Considering the packaging of brands like Weet-bix original, it’s obviously unnecessary but unfortunately common:

3 Likes