Packaging Airspace

Opened ours and were as depicted on the box.

Glad you got your money’s worth @mountvista.

Were the contents up to the lip of the packaging as in the box’s photo?

2 Likes

The large hazelnut side was full and the fruit and nut side I don’t think came up to the brim but was still pretty full. I opened a second box tonight to check it out but the contents had all spilled over and were mixed up. The cellophane cover goes straight over the top of both containers so didn’t prevent mixing.

They taste nice.

2 Likes

Today’s instalment for ‘making it big’ is courtesy of Ostelin caps. The photo does not do it justice. The full contents just comes to the ‘Colecalciferol’ line on the label.

The container is 145mm tall.

6 Likes

We received this excessive packaging nomination via email:

I purchased this cream pictured below from Woolworths for around $20.

As you can see from picture one and two, once the jar is out of the package and the lid is removed, the contents is about one third the size of the box.
Further, if you look into the box, there is a platform in the bottom of the box to make the jar sit higher therefore making it appear much larger.

5 Likes

Designed by the bloke who plays the afoxé.

1 Like

It would be interesting if packaging falls into the category of advertising…as it does sway customer decisions at the point of purchase.

If it is, then one could argue that the packaging is deceptive advertising as its size may give customers the mistaken belief of the amount of product contents.

3 Likes

Probably not actionable when the weight, volume or number of the contents is marked on the packaging but it could well be a deliberate effort to convey a false impression as to how much the consumer thinks they are buying.

2 Likes

NB there were two parallel threads running, one about over-packaging (Excessive Packaging - Shonky As) and this one about packaging airspace. It seemed these posts from the other topic are more appropriate here since it is about air, not excess. Any issues let me know and I can restore any to the original topic.

4 Likes

After only one or two drinks the container was already low, so we started wondering why we were using the drinking chocolate so quickly.

The container below is freshly opened and as you can see, it is already about ½ empty. Surely the contents wouldn’t have settled from full to ½ full because the powder was still very loose inside, and would probably have condensed down more with a bit of tapping against the benchtop.

Lucky they sell by content weight.

6 Likes

Lucky it’s 77.1% sugars?

Prices dropped at Woolies $4.00 for 400gms.

That’s $7.71 per kg for the sugar and $2.29 per kg for the rest?

3 Likes

When you put it like that, Cadburys is charging well over the top for the sugar content aren’t they?

4 Likes

Bioglan Vit. D 1000 IU 250 capsule.Profuct only half fills container . Deceptive to casual browser type shoppers.

4 Likes

Welcome @RobH!

My bottle of multivitamins is equally deceptive: contains 200 tablets which fill only about a quarter of the very big bottle!
I find that most brands of multivitamins
are sold in overly big containers.

5 Likes

Hi @RobH and @Gaby,

I relocated your posts about ‘packaging air’ to this existing topic, filled with similar posts of mostly empty containers, to reinforce the problem remains pervasive.

2 Likes

I’m still watching the ever shrinking fish fillets sold at the old price in the same large box. Used to be they would stretch side to side and when you opened the box, you did not have to reach halfway down the box to extract them.

1 Like

Expensive air remains in vogue with companies. A current instalment

Ignoring prices, what are the similarities and differences in contents between the two bottles?

One is Magnesium the Other Magnesium+Calcium.
The tabs in each are the same size or close enough.
The 150 count in each is the same.
The tabs barely come up to the blue ‘beltline’ on the right bottle.
I poured the 150 tabs of magnesium+calcium into the smaller bottle and they fit with air space to spare.
The 150 tabs come up to upper-mid-logo on the left bottle.

Very ordinary packaging decision Nature’s Way!

2 Likes

They aren’t the only ones. We don’t usually buy vitamins/supplements, but our GP recently suggested the taking of Vitamin D during the winter months.

Shopping for Vitamin D, one can’t look at the size of the container to give an idea if value of the purchase.

Swiss, HeathyCare, Wagner and Bioglan all had similar sized container for 1000IU capsules…however, the number of capsules ranged from 150-500 per container. If one was looking that the container size and the price, one may quickly assume that the cheapest was the best value. Not surprisingly, this was not the case and one needs to work out (noting unit pricing isn’t given) the price per 1000IU capsule to to see what is most cost effective.

Shaking the all the containers there was a lot of air. Even the 500 capsule container was just over half full, so expect the 150 capsule containers to really have the tide out.

2 Likes

Its pointless that we are complaining about this issue, or to the manufacturers. This is a global problem and environmental vandalism that should be addressed by Government. A simple legislation could reduce a whole raft of environmental impacts from materials misuse - packaging etc, freight - fuel, infrastructure damage etc, storage and handling etc etc. Our Government could build a case that such a move in Australia is nearly as good as shutting down coal exports.

1 Like

Nature’s Way multivitamins - bottle is 110mm, contents take up 25mm. >:(

2 Likes