Oven Internal Dimensions

@ChrisBarnes, Since I am newly in the market for a replacement oven the recent tests are timely and educational.

My present oven is a 75cm model that is really 74.5cm in its 75cm cutout. I cannot find any 75cm model that is only 74.5cm although I found one model that shows 74.5cm on its spec sheet. Getting excited about a perfect replacement (choice of 1) we went to the shop but alas it was actually 75cm. I suspect a few years ago the size may have referred to the product or the hole. Because of (errors? age? changes?) at least one manufacturers’ Claimed external dimensions (mm, HxWxD) on their spec sheet are not correct against their current production. This can be compounded by the numbers of variations in pdf and print that are superseded but remain in the wild. Although one is warned to always measure the product in one’s hands prior to cutting holes, when the hole is already cut and you need something that fits, it is a slightly different problem. :wink:

Moving ahead I expected a 70cm to have more useful cooking capacity than a 60cm, but from the review see a number of 60cm have more capacity than at least one 70cm, so it can be a bit of work to decide what best suits your pans - until you buy new pans that are different.

However, among the many useful points in the review is Internal baking dimensions (mm, HxWxD), but what is that? Is it the shelf area (WxD) one can put trays on? Is the H from the bottom shelf to the top of the oven cavity, or floor to top? I could take a measurement to a shop and find out, but this item has a lack of clarity in its otherwise noble attempt to clarify the usability and shown as Measured internal baking volume (L).

Would you please clarify what the internal baking dimensions, apparently measured, measure?

6 Likes

I would be surprised f you could get an oven that exactly fitted your cutout unless it was a model from the same company as your old oven. Aside from the width, the height of the cutout and its position in the surround need to match the oven. Why not get an oven you like that fits the cabinet and replace the surround? This is not a huge job, it isn’t as if you need to replace the whole cabinet.

2 Likes

Most ovens are the same outside dimensions if they are 60 or 90 cm these days, and the few 75cm are apparently all 75
although heights seem to vary.

The surround is not the worry, the cutout versus the size of the oven is. For clarity it is a column where the sides, top, and bottom of the oven cavity are high density board in 2-pak. There is no ‘surround’. It also cannot be removed and made wider without ripping out a Fairly Large counter with a cooktop, dishwasher, etc.[quote=“syncretic, post:2, topic:14657”]
Why not get an oven you like that fits the cabinet and replace the surround?
[/quote]

As I implied a 60 or 70 will fit with minor work, but a 60 apparently can be larger internally than a 70, which led to my question about how the internals are measured for the test.

1 Like

Hi @PhilT, @ChrisBarnes is away at the moment but I was able to get confirmation from @RebeccaCiaramidaro that the we measure internal baking dimensions from the lowest shelf of the oven or baking tray (if supplied with one) to the grill element, side wall to side wall and the rear wall to the door.

Hope that helps.

4 Likes

Thanks @BrendanMays and @RebeccaCiaramidaro, Very Helpful.

I noticed some manufacturer make and model shelves have a larger (flat) usable surface than others. Has Choice considered adding the measurements of the (flat) usable part of the shelves? It seems useful information re putting in particular pans, or perhaps any pan due to size ‘mismatches’.

I can imagine a nice large area and big capacity, but one where only a single commercially available pan would fit, or 2 much smaller ones that left 1/4 of the shelf open and you needed to put more in. Perhaps more serious cooks have different concerns?

3 Likes

That makes sense, @PhilT - the space needs to be usable. I’ll be sure to pass on the suggestion :thumbsup:

3 Likes