Outdated energy efficiency ratings

An interesting article posted by ABC Online this morning: ‘The Department of Industry admitted that Australia’s minimum standards in some cases are “lagging behind prevailing international standards”, creating a risk “for less efficient products to dominate in the market”.’

Time for CHOICE, and its members, to campaign/lobby for more frequent updates, and to add other major appliances (currently unrated) to the Energy Ratings scheme?

The Energy Efficiency Council said lagging standards in the past had allowed low-quality appliances that can no longer be sold in Europe or North America, such as air conditioners, to be dumped into the Australian market.”

10 Likes

That is a polite way to reinforce Australia is a dumping ground for ‘old stuff’.

7 Likes

It’s too polite to suggest it’s just “interesting”. It’s also just plain wrong headed that Australia’s energy rating system and the Federal Government Department can not keep up the improved standards applying in the USA or Europe. More so given Australia is close to the very top when it comes to our relative wealth and standard of living.

I can only agree!

P.S.
Those reading the ABC news item may see need to question some of the statistics and numerical comparisons provided. There are no links to the sources for better informed comment. There are differences in how Australian homes use energy compared with the greater exposure to colder climates in Europe and USA. Perhaps Australian homes have even more to gain?

6 Likes

Are you OK with me sharing this comment to ABC News Online Feedback?

4 Likes

The same applies to vehicles. We have among the most slack vehicle fuel consumption standards and emission standards in the world. This has been the case for years and neither major party has done anything about it. The last time I looked there was some kind of review in progress but it hasn’t seen the light of day and there is no indication when it might. This costs us all in may ways including our health due to excess harmful fine particulates in the air of our cities.

You don’t want to upset the status quo.

Similarly, with the current fuel prices and possibility of further supply problems a number of well positioned commentators have made the observation that our petroleum fuel reserve is petty and held overseas ( in the USA !!!) and if we got off ICE vehicles we could not be held to ransom that way, would save billions in foreign exchange and not burn a whole lot of hydrocarbons. From the government (who actually would not mind a big distraction for the the next two months) not a word.

7 Likes

Sadly this is just another symptom of an illness which has gone untreated too long in Australia. The major parties are too dependent on political contributions/funding from the industries they are meant to regulate. Too often the lobbyists are the ones who write the policy on behalf of the Government.

We will continue to see this laisse-faire approach until the hand-in-glove relationship is severed.

3 Likes

That would be hand-in-puppet.

4 Likes

No problem to do so.
It’s not uncommon for numerical/statistical content to be open to interpretation. My impression is that Australian homes rely more on electrical energy than other forms (EG gas) than colder climates where gas and oil are more common. Australia also has a much greater take up of solar PV, Solar HW, and possibly RC air conditioning.

Perhaps there is a stronger argument to be made through a better understanding of the basis of the comparisons. Perhaps the relative gains available are understated? Also possible is that a better understanding of the reasons for difference could prioritise specific areas for efficiency improvement? It’s not possible to agree or disagree. I’d hope there is some more detail available to help wth that.

6 Likes