October Food Champions Challenge :What milk do you buy?

When I went to a private school, the milk was only provided to primary school students, but when I moved to the state high school after grade 10, the milk was available to all students

The milk was always both fresh and cold, and some senior students like to have competitions to see who could drink the most.

As far as hot school milk goes, my former barber went to school in Wales and she told me how the crates of milk would be brought to each classroom and would then be placed in front of the heater.

She said that one morning, she asked the teacher if she could not put the milk near the heater as she liked her milk cold, to which the rest of the class piped up in agreement.

If you donā€™t speak up, nothing will change.

1 Like

This is great advice - thanks. Waiting for a reply from Wooliesā€¦

2 Likes
  • Pauls Farmhouse Gold Full Cream Milk
  • Full fat, as much saturated fat as possible!

We buy it for our eldest (3 yrs) to drink with his eggs for breakfast. Occasionally weā€™ll use it to make him porridge. Sometimes weā€™ll use a small amount in scrambled eggs if we donā€™t have pure cream.

On the full fat Vā€™s lite (or reduced fat) debate

Recent evidence is showing how reduced-fat dairy is not beneficial.
https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMra1903547
These findings are particularly damning for reduced fat as there is likely to be a large Healthy Person Bias influencing the low-fat results. Itā€™s been part of the healthy eating message for a long time.

I realise not many people can access scientific articles, so this is the interesting bit for low fat dairy:

Overall, the findings of prospective cohort studies and randomized trials do not show clear effects of milk intake on body weight in children or adults. Contrary to U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) advice to choose reduced-fat dairy, low-fat milk does not appear to have advantages over whole milk for weight control ā€” and in children, available evidence suggests greater long-term weight gain with reduced-fat milk than with full-fat milk.

6 Likes

Reduced Fat milk also tends to be higher sodium per 100 ml than full fat. Fat soluble vitamins and minerals are often less in low fat varieties and in some cases they add the vitamins and minerals to increase the levels. This still puts them at a disadvantage as the fats help the uptake of these vitamins and minerals.

But this lower fat message had been driven by the sugar side, whereby fat was seen as far worse for weight gain than sugar but the evidence is now showing carbs and particularly sugars are far worse particularly the ā€œemptyā€ calories/kilojoules.

7 Likes

I honestly donā€™t like how they have so many different Milk products bit over trying to find which is best. Maybe if tbey left it as it was before but it changed. At least when Milk was in bottles we didnā€™t have lots to choose from.i noticed aldi have started selling norco milk. I will try to purchase if available as it local source

4 Likes

Itā€™s called product differentiation. If it is all the same competition comes down to name (eg people pay more for Schweppes soft drink than nonames) or price. If you donā€™t have a name and you want to make more than the minimum markup you make your offering a different colour, flavour, more healthy, less fatty, more calcium, less yada yada all with big ad campaigns and nice pics of cows in colour.

4 Likes

That reminds me of that TV ad featuring a person walking into a shop and asking the woman for milk, to which she replies in a dead pan voice naming every variety in the fridge.

It ends with him saying ā€œI just want milk that tastes like real milkā€ to which she replies ā€œThis one tasted like full cream milk, and only 2% fatā€.

5 Likes

The milk I usually buy is the home brand full cream milk from the supermarket. I use it in my coffee or tea, and in baking.

At present, to reduce shopping trips,
Iā€™m buying Devondale long life milk
so that I can keep a few extra cartons
in the pantry without fear of it getting spoiled.

I also keep a tin of condensed milk, just in case, and am happy when the ā€˜best
beforeā€™ date comes near so that I have an excuse to indulge in the luscious slice of bread topped with condensed milk that Iā€™ve learned to make from @grahroll!

6 Likes

@ WEND Iā€™m surprised your A2 milk goes off in 3 days. I always buy fresh skimmed A2 milk but I get the longest use by date on the shelf. That is never less than 10 days and it is still good even then.

Have you considered checking the seal on your fridge? If it is old it may not be making a good enough seal and therefore your fridge may be operating at a higher temperature. Not good for your milk or your wallet :frowning:

5 Likes

Thanks Karen, fridge keeps everything else fresh. I too look for longest use by date, often no choice as all the same date. I also prefer the long life because l can keep in cupboard until opening so donā€™t need to shop every few days. I donā€™t understand why long life A2 is so frequently unavailable- l check several large suburban supermarkets. When l ask the staff l receive odd responses ā€œwe get what weā€™re sentā€, to ā€œwe donā€™t stock it anymoreā€. l have emailed both Coles and Woolworths without response.

4 Likes

Norco has paid their suppliers the highest price in 125 years.

4 Likes

I buy 2 brands - Community Co low-fat lactose free for every day milk and So Good Regular soy milk for my coffee in the morning. Both are available at my local Foodland and IGA shops. I canā€™t drink coffee without soy now as when I realised I was lactose intolerant we didnā€™t have lactose free milk available so soy was my substitute. Now coffee doesnā€™t taste right without it.I buy the Community Co because itā€™s the cheapest and So Good because itā€™s the most consistent in frothing.

5 Likes

Hi @kadams, welcome to the community.

There is such a wide variety of alternative milk products or different forms of milk. We add Pauls Zymil to our shopping list when one of the family come to stay. Itā€™s want they prefer and is their compromise between price and taste. Iā€™ve never thought to try using soy etc to make coffee at home. Although some outlets have coffee menus that fill pages with all options.

We generally purchase low fat cows milk. I do prefer full cream with my coffee as a special treat. We obviously need to try some different options for the home made barista coffee. Itā€™s one more thing to make others feel welcome.

4 Likes

We always buy low fat milk from a mainstream milk provider. We generally avoid the ā€˜home brandā€™ milk, no matter what low price they have or promises to ā€œhelp farmersā€. My feeling being that, if the major retailers want to help farmers, they should pay a decent price!

4 Likes

For the many posters who buy branded milk to support farmers, rather than house labels, you might peruse this topic.

5 Likes

Skim milk.

The ā€œskim milk plus extra calciumā€ is interesting (they do it by adding some skim milk powder to skim milk I believe) but too expensive for what does for my calcium intake (eat some cheese and yoghurt instead).

Never buy ā€œmilkā€ made from soya beans because I am sensitive to soy.
Never buy ā€œmilkā€ made from almonds because I am very sensitive to almonds.

5 Likes

And to this day I canā€™t drink straight milk.

3 Likes

I buy Farmhouse Gold, blue or gold top for my son, husband and I use Dairy Farmers pure cream in coffee and general cooking use, lower carb and higher fat content. Yum

6 Likes

Welcome to the forum @FluffyP .Thanks for the input .

5 Likes

We find it convenient to keep skim milk powder in the pantry and mix up a jug full of milk as required.

4 Likes