Nutrition and cognition

Being of an age beyond which dementia risk increases rapidly, I find this interesting:

And I like mushrooms! :yum:

Of course, although what you eat clearly does affect the brain at all ages, keeping an ageing brain healthy and functioning well isn’t as simple as just making sure to include one or two particular foods in the diet. :confused:

There’s still a lot to learn, it seems.

Not an easy read! but at least the Conclusion is only 10 paragraphs. :grinning:

3 Likes

An unwritten but well known part of nutrition is dental health. Dental services are given sub-minimal support in Medicare and comparatively short shrift in most private health extras.

Considering the impact dental health has on one’s overall health and can affect eating at its most basic, it seems a reasonable place to look to improve health for the entire community, not just the cognitive affects for one, another, and many maladies.

Yet studies focus on this and that since getting government(s) and insurers to step it up a notch or few seems relegated to the too hard basket. Perhaps if the collective studies get enough notice more attention might be paid to the bottom line of ‘if you cannot eat [it], [it] is not going to help’?

6 Likes

I have never been a fan of the ‘superfood’ concept, that there is something you must eat, or the converse, that there is a single cause of mental decay and so you must not eat that. These games are never separated from the advice by the author to buy their book or their (rather expensive) special foods or health-giving preparation.

I am particularly averse to the shills who explain that conventional medicine is inadequate as they only provide unnatural synthetic pills and potions but their own special pills or potions are so superior - without a shred of evidence.

My aim is to live to 100 and remember my birthdays and my children and their birthdays too.

The plan is simple to describe, it has two parts.

1. Keep active physically, mentally and socially.
  2. Eat an appropriate amount of a balanced diet of foods that are as fresh and well prepared as I can manage.

It isn’t easy to do or free of effort but it might just work.

6 Likes