NSW Covid Check-in and Tracing Failures

I’m not huge fan of the QR at this time,
it can be cumbersome at many venues, poor location, reflective laminates, in distinct black prints mean can be quite difficult to scan on occasion.

the reverse of the QR for patrons to show will be even more confronting and difficult.
I do it always scan in QR, but cannot envision displaying my QR code of vaccination.

I do dream the time the venues will have a RF Machine at the entrances to read the unique RFID of a card such as medicare card, Australia Card or my Phone. I will be contactable if necessary as my RFID is unique and personal.

Even if those want anonymity the touch in some means of using a phone, Health groups can contact ‘Person 1232144’ via popup alert, alarm or if authorised call.
You have been confirmed as present at ‘site a321’ @ 11/11/2021 please immediately test and isolate.
We dont know your identity but you are informed what matters

1 Like

No, that’s exactly how my Service NSW one works. I have to enter a 4 digit PIN on opening it, but then it’s Click COVID checkin, scan QR code, Click OK, select any presaved family members n Click OK. Done. And at the end you either go into it again, select recent checkins tab and OK to checkout, or another checkin elsewhere checks you out (I assume) of the previous place

2 Likes

Tassie’s app is very similar. It also has a function for businesses which can be used to check-in those who can’t scan codes themselves.

The code is recognised under a second.

It would have been better to have a centralised system, but we have states and a constitution in the way.

2 Likes

If only! Nope you have to check out manually, like really, in this day and age where shopping centres can identify you via wifi or Bluetooth and send you special offers as you stroll around the mall, or Harvey Norman can bring up your details with just your phone number as can any of the major chains loyalty programs.
Was it too hard to incorporate a self sorting alarm system into the apps, which notified the carrier that they had been in the vicinity of a positive tested person? It would seem like joe public can come up with a better brief than the people who are supposedly in charge. The fact that track and trace is not automatic and requires hundreds of people on phones, worries me, unless maybe the suddenly unemployed have been commandeered into those positions. Honestly I and everyone else I know am over it. The sheer incompetence defeats me, back to the sofa and Netflix!

1 Like

Thought I’d share this with you. Following text sent to Service NSW yesterday.
"
I use the Covid QR codes when shopping. I have received 3 alerts detailing the premises I was at when an active case was present. The last occasion was on 6 Jan 2022.

However I have also received a greater number of alerts but no corresponding details of premises.

Are these false alarms? My phone number is

The following response was received today.
" Good afternoon,

Thank you for your email to Service NSW.

This notification comes from NSW Health, Service NSW only sends these notifications on behalf of NSW Health.

I have attached the link to the contact us page on the NSW Health website for your convenience.

https://www.health.nsw.gov.au/pages/contact.aspx

If you have any questions about COVID-19, customers should call the National Coronavirus Health Information Line on 1800 020 080.

If you require translating or interpreting services, call 131 450.

You can find more information on COVID-19 symptoms on nsw.gov.au.

If you have any further questions or need help in the future, please visit our website at www.service.nsw.gov.au. You can also reply to this email or call us on 13 77 88.

Kind regards,

Maddie

Service NSW

Service NSW is dedicated to keeping the customer at the heart of what we do. If you would like to provide feedback about your experience today, please complete our short survey located here.

------------------------------ Original Message ------------------------------

I use the Covid QR codes when shopping. I have received 3 alerts detailing the premises I was at when an active case was present. The last occasion was on 6 Jan 2022.

However I have also received a greater number of alerts but no corresponding details of premises.

Are these false alarms? My phone number is xxx.

Any suggestions as to how I should proceed?

The track system is in disarray and is being dismantled (thank you Govt.)
Did you have the booster shot? The covid certificate can only show 2 vaccinations!! What will happen to later vaccinations - Israel is starting the fourth. Strange reasoning from the Govt.

Try calling the health hotline in NSW. They should be able to resolve during the call on how to proceed.

Had booster on 20 Dec 2021. Vaccination certificate has been updated.

My posting was somewhat tongue in cheek. I used the contact details on the Service NSW to send the original email and have now received a response directing me to the very same "contacts’ page on the Service NSW website to make, I assume, the same inquiry.