November 2021 Food Champions Challenge: What is your favourite Fish Dish and Why?

Yesterday afternoon, our local Coles had a good selection of fresh Australian fish fillets for a change and all were marked down to half price including the Red Emporer I bought for just $20.25/kg.

A woman bought a few different fillets and then asked for 6 Aussie scallops which were the normal price of $42/kg.

When the staff member had picked them, she asked to double check that 6 was the correct number.

The woman replied “Yes. 5 for me and 1 for my cat”.

What? $42/kg scallops for a cat? Not even our little dog is that spoilt.

She then asked for a marked down raw lobster tail and the staff member said “For you or your cat?”

She replied “Both. We share everything?”

4 Likes

Not ‘A Dog’s Life’! :wink:

4 Likes

Only one for the cat? That’s a bit mean
:laughing:

4 Likes

The woman also said to the Coles staff member that if she has food out and she goes to the bathroom, when she returns, the cat has stolen a lot of it.

So perhaps the cat got all the scallops, and the rest of the seafood as well?

4 Likes

That’s a consequence for being mean to the cat :laughing:

4 Likes

:rofl::rofl: @Gaby and @Fred123.

Lucille Ball and Desi
Roseanne Barr and John Goodman.

Might need to add another duo to the list. :grin:

4 Likes

@mark_m Feel free to come in at any time :laughing:

3 Likes

Is that why cats need 9 lives?

3 Likes

We’d be at risk of being likened affectionately or otherwise to one of only a handful of successful comedy trios. The Three Stooges come immediately to mind. I’m wary of being type cast, if not by lack of wit, by lack of hair.

Back to fish.
I think Monty Python perfected fish for two. :joy:

6 Likes

Stop it @Fred123 and @mark_m :rofl:

You’ll get me kicked out of the food
challenges :laughing: :joy:

3 Likes

One fish dish I love is one my mum used to make: Baked Whole Snapper.
Baked on top of lemon slices and flavoured with bay leaves and peppercorns, the flesh comes out juicy and the skin crispy. And it makes a beautiful centre dish for special occasions.
For a detailed recipe please see the “Comfort Foods” thread…

3 Likes

When I had a look in our local Woolies today, they not only had scallops with roe on, which they only have once in a blue moon, but they had already marked them dowm from $40+/kg to $16.90/kg.

I grabbed half a kilo which hardly made a dent in the display and I am planning to finally attempt to make scallop pies which I have been meaning to do for years.

I have not had one since we stopped at The Travellers Rest in Gin Gin in 2018, and that was the first one since we first visited Tassie in 1993.

If the woman with the kleptomaniac cat visited Woolies today, both she and the furry thief will be thinking Xmas came early.

2 Likes

I love any seafood! In my twenties I remember picking oysters off the rocks at the beach, shucking and rinsing in seawater and straight down the hatch! Yum! Love grilled whole snapper, lobster fresh or mornay, scallops, mussels, salt and pepper calamari. Just must be fresh

6 Likes

I have eaten so much fish in Indonesia. Absolute favourite is a whole fish which has been briefly fried, then immediately dipped in honey & water while still hot, then grilled. Not the usual Ikan bakar (grilled fish).
Second is a stew of fish, coconut, tumeric, ginger and other spices - delicious.

7 Likes

I’m intrigued by the Fish Stew
you’ve mentioned @mudpuppy
I was wondering if you’d care to share more details on how to cook it.
If you cook by taste, there’s no need for exact weight and volume of ingredients. Just an approximate will do. :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

I once cooked a Mediterrian style tuna casserole a decade or so ago.

I used fresh tuna pieces from our Great Barrier Reef Tuna cut into smaller pieces, together with black olives, tomatoes, small potatoes, onions and garlic.

I pan fried the tuna before putting it in the slower cooker which makes it firm.

It was very nice, but as my wife will not eat tuna that does not come out of a can, I have not cooked it again.

2 Likes

I am familiar with a Mediterranean style fish stew, and whole small fish or fish fillets can be used not only tuna. The main flavours are tomatoes, garlic, onions, thyme. A little wine can be used to dilute the tomatoes.

@mudpuppy has mentioned one made with coconut milk, turmeric, ginger…

3 Likes

Yes, One way to make use of tuna from Nth Qld waters.

Would the investment in fresh Tuna better suit sashimi or seared tuna, just coloured on the outside? Finished in a Japanese style sesame seed coating, served with kewpie, wasabi, shiso and cooled soba noodles as a side. Don’t forget the dipping sauce for the noodles.

The Indonesian style fish stew would be a great way to use all those better value and lesser more flavoursome fish and seafood we often pass up as inferior to plain old barramundi and near tasteless coral trout.

If it appeals, many of the more desirable of today’s Mediterranean seafood dishes come from the recipes of the humble fishermen using up their bycatch and what could not be sold at market.

2 Likes

Great Barrier Reef Tuna sells both sashimi grade tuna and cooking grade tuna, as well as offcuts as pet food.

2 Likes

I wish i could, but i only know the basics - only one Lombok friend seems to know it so maybe a family recipe.

1 Like