November 2021 Food Champions Challenge: What is your favourite Fish Dish and Why?

:lobster::blowfish::whale2::fish::crab::shrimp::tropical_fish::squid::dolphin::whale:

Humans have been eating fish since time immemorial.
This colourful subject can be found depicted in Cave paintings dating back thousands of years, and also in mosaics in Pompeii which was destroyed by the volcanic eruption of Mt. Vesuvius about 2000 years ago.

The ancient inhabitants of the lands around the Mediterranean Sea, prepared elaborate, fermented fish sauces (such as Garum) to be preserved in jars and used as condiments to add taste and flavour to many and varied dishes.

(The equivalent in modern times would be the Fish Sauce used in some Asian countries, and the Worcestershire sauce made from fermented anchovies.)

Fish is high in protein and contains the very beneficial Omega-3 fatty acids, plus various vitamins and minerals such as Vit.D, and B2, and calcium, phosphorus, zinc…

It can be prepared in many ways, including raw, cured, grilled, baked, fried…

For a chance to receive the Food Champions Badge, please share with us: what is your favorite Fish Dish and Why?

From @phb, @vax2000, @Gaby
Big Thank you to all participants of the October Challenge, you’ve made it a Great one :clap:

Congrats to:
@alexb @GLfin6 @Sundowner
@draughtrider @Roscoe63 @GraemeK53

You have been awarded the Food Champions Badge

8 Likes
  1. Sashimi.Because it is delicious.
  2. Barramundi. Because it is delicious.
  3. Red Emporer. Because it is delicious.
  4. Swordfish. Because it is delicious.
  5. Mudcrab. Because it is delicious.
  6. Regal cold smoked King Salmon. Because it is the best.

7 Likes

Thai red fish curry, because it’s so full of flavour and very importantly just about any type of fish, or seafood can be used. Also quick and easy to prepare with plenty of choices from a jar, especially when cooking for just one or two.

Tempura comes a close second. Although more of a challenge when it’s the fried head or remains of a fish that has had the fillets removed.

Feel good:
It’s become more important to purchase what’s available fresh and economically priced to better use resources.

As much as I enjoy sashimi, it’s a premium cut from a premium product. Seafood resources are limited especially the higher order pelagic fish such as tuna, swordfish, shark etc.

8 Likes

I could never narrow down a favourite when it comes to seafood.

Cullen Skink or a good Bisque, importantly both where the appropriate amount of care was taken in preparation, especially with a Bisque.

Good fresh Oysters - preferably straight off the boat on Eyre Peninsula - with an ice cold Semillon Blanc. Or two. Or …

Any fresh caught fish cooked with minimal fuss on a grill, steamed or baked, just enough, served with minimal condiment abuse and enjoyed for what it is. Self caught doubly so.

Lightly peppered and grilled razorfish …

Where does it end? oh, with Surströmming of course - No.

7 Likes

My favourite is King George Whiting . Must be grilled though .

5 Likes

This is really difficult. One thing I love about visiting Japan is that I get to eat a lot of fish, and they are always prepared so well.

But, if I have to come down to a single dish that I keep going back to, it is the Portuguese Bacalhau no tachinho. Salted cod cooked in a clay pot with a tomato-based sauce and thin round potato chips on top. Not at all healthy, but so so good.

9 Likes

I eat any fish, but prefer sea to fresh water varieties. The only exception if freshwater salmon farmed near us and it is delicious.

My favourite fish dish is squire (snapper) fillet cooked in butter in a pan, with a salad and mashed potato.

I also do enjoy a flathead or leatherjacket fillet cooked the same way with a squeeze of lemon juice.

5 Likes

I loved my grandmother’s salted cod in a pot! She would get the one already soaked from the deli and cook it with onions, tomatoes, and potatoes, and to keep the fish pieces intact she would just gently shake the pot and never stir.
It slow cooked for about an hour and was delicious!

6 Likes

Ikan Bakar (grilled fish) with fresh sambal was a staple growing up with an Indonesian mother. Usually Mackerel, sometime snapper on special occasion - highly recommend if you ever feel the temptation for Indonesian food!

5 Likes

Salmon croquettes made at home because my husband (who doesn’t generally like fish) loves them - as I do - and they are very easy to make. It’s a great way to get the family eating fish given my husband’s dislike of it in other forms. It is also something that doesn’t need forward planning as I always have a tin of salmon and packet bread crumbs in the pantry, an egg in the fridge and the other ingredients - potato, onion, parsley and chilli - always on hand or in the garden. So it’s a handy dish when I can’t think of what to cook.

6 Likes

Baked salmon with herbs eg smoked paprika or mixed herbs. Lemon sliced.

4 Likes

I’m just not much of a fish eater, so I have salmon fillets fried in butter, usually with zucchini (as zoodles) or a spud and cauliflower. Then theres tuna treat #276, which is a can of tuna mixed with mashed potato, peas and onion, placed in a casserole dish and topped with cheese and tomato slices, and either baked in the oven (which I don’t do) or cooked in the microwave (which I do. It melts the cheese but you don’t get the crispy goodness of cheese baked. I usually just use shredded tasty of whatever variety is on special at the time.

Don’t ask me to eat fish with bones in.

5 Likes

There is a good guide available that indicates which Australian seafood is sustainable

Since the book/documentary about farmed salmon in Tasmania appeared, I have refused to buy any. If the fish is really good, I think it only needs a pan fry and squeeze of lemon.

6 Likes

A prawn stir fry using frozen tailless prawns and frozen stir fry mix, Malaysian or Shanghai preferred.

With about 7 minutes cook time (plus defrosting the prawns) it is an easy meal for lazy me, and with a splash of tamari on it no too bad for fast food.

4 Likes

Sounds good. Anything quick is better than long time.

3 Likes

Fishcake and chips in a newspaper. The fishcake is not a rissole type cake but a Yorkshire fishcake, which is a slice of cod with a slice of potato either side, battered and deep fried. Nowadays recognised as unhealthy but no harm if eaten only once per week.
Why? Nostalgia! I have never found this fishcake anywhere else.

4 Likes

Yum, to die for! No pun of course.
Combines my love of battered fish and battered potato scallops.

There is an abundance of online recipes including this one.
Yorkshire | Community Recipes | Nigella's Recipes | Nigella Lawson

The Chip Butty made it’s way alongside Yorkshire coal miners to more discerning F&C shops in Newcastle on the Hunters. I don’t ever recollect the Yorkshire Fishcake being on the menu.

1 Like

I don’t eat fish, I’ve been vegetarian for 30 years or so. There are too many people eating fish, too many people in general, and this is not sustainable. Fish stocks are diminishing worldwide, I am happy to see fish swimming in the seas and streams I don’t need to kill them or gave someone to kill them for me.

2 Likes

My wife and I used to go to the Peter Doyle Restaurant at the Quay until, sadly, it closed. Our favourite dish was a pan fried Barramundi. The fillet was so lightly fried, not burnt skin like in many places, and had a beautiful butter sauce. Delicate, tasy.

5 Likes