Not only online media facilitate scams

This advert has been running in the Sydney Morning Herald for some time.

The link leads here.

The product goes into the OBD2 port of your car and re-tunes the engine so that your fuel economy will be improved by 55% or 35% or perhaps some other amount.

There are all the sales hooks present:

• hurry stock is limited
  • yours for half price ($60 instead of $120)
  • buy several for a discount
  • glowing endorsements, many thumb up
  • techie sounding reviews
  • conspiracy theories to explain the amazing outcome, the petroleum industry is trying to ban it
  • etc etc etc

But there are problems:

• The vendor can’t be sure if it is Ecodriver or Ecotune or Ecochip, but don’t worry they all look the same.
  • None of the claims can be verified, none of the endorsements can be identified.
  • You can get the same thing here under a slightly different name for $2.65 - but it only saves 15% of fuel :disappointed_relieved: I guess you get what you pay for!
  • But most of all there is zero chance that the device actually works.

If it is possible to make such huge fuel savings by simply re-tuning the engine how is it that car manufacturers don’t do it? If a competent mechanic using the software from your car’s maker for your model leaves so much room for improvement what is going on? There are two explanations for these conundrums; the whole car industry is corrupt and in league with those devils who sell fuel or fraud on the part of the vendor of this product.

You can find reports from people who say they bought it and it is wonderful but also those who say it did nothing. If Choice or other reputable body test it I will bet heavily on option (2).

I nominate the device for a shonky and the SMH for a share of the prize for enabling it.

7 Likes

I am agassed (sorry!)

Although a blog, it is an educated blog with the key being it is a device programmed to blink lights, and As mentioned on my blog post about the Ecobox fuel-saver, independent analysis from professionals and amateurs determined, after dissecting several of these OBD2 fuel savers, that there’s no actual connection and communication between the device and your car’s ECU.

2 Likes

A double shonky! Surely a winner.

As a short aside since ECU’s vary between makes and models it is a remarkable outcome that the one device seems to suit every manufacturers different systems. The devices connected to the CAN bus and accessible through the OBD type 2 or ancient type 1 connector also varies.

For those who are really interested and would like to learn or play.
https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/getting-started-with-obd-ii/all

P.S.
AFAIK changing the operating parameters for a modern engine (ECU) cannot be done while the engine is running. The ECU needs to be flashed to update any code and settings.

2 Likes

I’m confused. Why buy something to plug into the car’s OBD2 port, when you can simply pour a bottle of Coke into the petrol tank?

2 Likes

This device is for cars made after 1995, the one that runs on water came before that, it was supported by that well know engineer Joh Bjelke Petersen