Norton and two factor authentication

I need advice on dealing with Norton and their customer service. For some reason after several years my mobile number is no longer accepted for two factor authentication and this means that I can no longer access my account. I have tried to get support to resolve the issue, but am constantly told to be patient, but after 6 months and losing access to account in the last 3 weeks I am at my wits end. There is no process to submit a complaint. What can I do?

Welcome to the community @Gambs

I presume you mean Norton AV?

My first question is based on my own history with Norton/Symantec dating from the early days. It was less pleasant than your own. I happily bid them adieu and never looked back.

Is there some reason you have persevered? My personal advice is to move on.

That being on record, you could try their US chat, even if only to get an Australian contact point for your complaint.

or direct to the AU page at

that might be fulfilling toward resolution, but it reads like you have tried that.

Iā€™ll reiterate there are many very good products these days. Considering your problems why not try one? Choice has reviewed AV products, as have magazines and labs.

member content

1 Like

I have only persevered because my subscription renewed just at the time the issues really started and donā€™t want to waste it. My passwords are also locked away. I have Norton Lifelock premium. I doubt that Norton will return unused subs. I will definitely be shifting to another company after this experience.

2 Likes

Assume you have seen general troubleshooting on the norton website.

2 Likes

You are correct. I hope one of the links I posted above might lead you to a resolution. Please let us know if you were able to make contact through either of the above. Good luck!

1 Like

Who said this and why did they say this.

There is also scammers who appear to be a AV provider with similar websites or send what looks like genuine emails. Have you contacted Norton support directly or potentially someone else (scammer) by mistake. Official Norton support contacts inc. online chat and phone numbers can be found hereā€¦

Edit: I canā€™t imagine Norton to say to be patient.

If it is a scammer, you may have inadvertently given access to all your information held by Norton which is a concern, and you may need to start going through the process of creating a new password manager and changing all your passwords. This can usually be done by selecting ā€˜forgot passwordā€™ or contacting the organisation directly.

2 Likes

edit: oops, passed in the night :wink:

Although the pages are probably the same or similar, the Aussie one is here

2 Likes

I have tried to contact them through their support page (chat) and through messenger. I have ā€˜spokenā€™ to at least 5 different people. The response is always ā€˜be patientā€™, but after 6 months, numerous repeating of the underlying issue and a total failure of each support person to understand the issue, and now totally losing access, my patience has completely disappeared.

1 Like

I canā€™t change my password because of the two factor authentication issue

If you know your other passwords or can reset them, it seems like a good time to write off your loss and move on. You will need to formally have any auto-renewal stopped and have receipted evidence of that for your records - via chat or whatever avenue you have, including tracked real-mail to their address of record.

2 Likes

I am pretty sure that I have used the right links to present the issue

1 Like

Not the one for the vault, but all the stored passwords within the vault.

1 Like

I have stopped auto renewal and have email confirmation

2 Likes

Are they the same as the ones on the official Norton pageā€¦or different ones.

1 Like

Same as the official Norton page

2 Likes

Canā€™t access my account to change password because two factor authentication because cannot receive code on mobile.

Not any Norton password, but all the ones in the vault such as memberships, banks, online streaming accounts, social media etc.

BTW, did you change anything with the mobile 6 months ago (provider, new phone etc)? Maybe a change triggered a cascading problem.

1 Like

Have you also clicked on a website popup (about 6 month ago) saying you need to do a virus scan as a virus has been detectedā€¦because antivirus software can be compromised this way as well. ā€¦

It may be worth installing another free malware scanner to do a deep system scan. @PhilT provided options in the Choice link in his first post.

1 Like

Good advice. I will do it immediately

2 Likes

Have run Avira scan and no viruses detected, which is a relief

2 Likes