CHOICE membership

Noise Cancelling headphones

Hi,
I have really sensitive hearing caused by a head injury, I am after the best noise cancelling headphones I can get for Air travel and also to mute as much as possible children and baby noises.

Could you please test the Bose QC 30 earbuds and also indicate how good a brand is on cancelling out noise without having to have any music on, and how good they are at shutting out everyday noise especially planes, crying babies and noise from children

thanks Meg

3 Likes

Thanks @meganchild, I’ll be sure to pass on your request. For reference and other readers, here is our existing test on noise cancelling headphones (member content).

2 Likes

We’ve taken a look at the new Bose ‘Sleepbuds’. Read our thoughts on the benefits and shortcomings of these noise cancelling headphones.

1 Like

We’ve recently updated our noise cancelling headphones review for those interested.

1 Like

Free review on the Bose 700 headphones:

Plus, the five worst in-ear headphones:

4 Likes

If my memory serves correctly, earphones/earbuds are not recommended due to potential damage to your hearing.

2 Likes

There are some tips on avoiding hearing damage and earbud use in our buying guide. Perhaps it’s something we could investigate more deeply.

There is also the option of filtered earplugs for situations like loud concerts:

2 Likes

If you’re considering a new set of headphones, we think these ones are best avoided:

3 Likes

Did you have a look at the Parrots?

2 Likes

:laughing: They are always very noisy outside our window :smile_cat:

The Parrot Zik 2.0 didn’t seem to do well either in the tests but Member reviews were more positive.

2 Likes

2 posts were split to a new topic: Usernames on Choice vs Community

We’ve put together a table that shows cost vs review rating for noise cancelling headphones (link below for more info). It gives you an idea of what you can spend vs the quality you receive, and as always price doesn’t always guarantee the best performance.

What are your thoughts on minimum spend for good quality noise-cancelling headphones?

4 Likes

Important point for some is the IP rating of the earbuds. If you sweat a lot get the best IP rating as it doesn’t matter how much you paid, if they fail due to sweat causing them to fail then they may be a costly experience…eg some are only IPX4 (some of the more expensive are this rating as well) and so are only sweat resistant, I have had a pair fail due to heavy sweating. There are higher IP rated earbuds out there.

@BrendanMays perhaps the IP rating could be included in the reviews in case people need to look at that specification?

4 Likes

Thanks, good suggestion. I’ll make sure to mention it to the product testers :+1:

2 Likes