New Washing Machine delivered and installed not working - small country town, what are the remedies?

I would say that a washing machine that does not work, on the first day, after the retailer delivered AND installed it… would qualify as ‘not meeting standards’. And I wouldn’t be accepting a ‘repair’ either. I bought a new machine… I deserve to have a new machine that works!

5 Likes

A number if years ago, I had a house built, and bought a lot of appliances to put in it.

A front loader washing machine started leaking. Repair fix under warranty, tighten up a hose clamp inside the machine. Been working fine ever since. Root cause, shoddy manufacturing.

A dishwasher stopped working. Repair fix under warranty, fit a gasket that was missing. Been fine ever since. Root cause, shoddy manufacturing.

Should one dismiss a repair from a qualified repairer, and instead insist on a replacement? Which could have the same manufacturing fault.

1 Like

We all have a consumer right to a replacement or refund when there is a major failure. We all have a consumer right to a repair or remedy for a minor failure. Within the reasonable lifetime for the appliance. Evident as noted in the two examples, retailer and brands not mentioned. It’s useful to hear about reliable service and who provides it.

It’s also our experience of living in regional localities and towns few have authorised technical service available. A warranty claim may require sending a fully trained tech complete with the appropriate manuals etc 100’s km or much further. If the nature of the failure is unclear or indicative of a major defect, it’s far more efficient to replace the product. Consider $50 -$100 for transport costs of the goods to replace vs the tech alternative of a minimum of 2-4hrs plus mileage. This assumes the tech can provide a remedy with minimal spare parts. Otherwise, as even those in the city know it’s a second call-out once the spare part has been ordered in. There are also not authorised repairers in many country towns, including the local electrician. YMMV. I’d be cautious of relying on any for a brand new product.

That assumes the fault is consistently present in every one of the same product. For a large manufacturer continuously producing thousands of the one model in each batch - how many would be sold, assuming they are all faulty before it would be common knowledge and the supply chain act to stop sales, remedy and recall? It’s a low risk with a reputable supplier and brand, IMHO.

If it was a kids electronic toy purchased at a $2 shop that stopped working after a few hours, luck of the draw?

3 Likes

Its a top loader, not required to have bolts etc removed

While you are technically correct, some top loaders have packing materials, brackets or straps to reduce drum movement during transit.

The particular top loading washing machine had stabilising foam, but this had been removed as the washing machine was floor stock. There is potential that the drum had been impacted by its delivery, such as suspension springs or rods being dislodged from their attachments. Our own F&P had this occur during our last move as the drum wasn’t supported/restrained during transit. Fortunately it was an easy fix after searching what to do online.

1 Like