New Safety Barrier To Protect People From Vehicles

An article regarding an Australian invention of a barrier to protect people in outdoor areas from vehicles.

https://9now.nine.com.au/today/australian-invention-archer-1200-barriers-for-outdoor-dining-and-cafes-protects-patrons-from-car-accidents/b3ba914b-6639-4250-9c72-52aeb92f599a

Watch the vudeo clip to see how it actually works.

Great stuff.

3 Likes

Just hope that if they are used, they place bollards around its based otherwise it would become a significant trip hazard.

2 Likes

Not new…
"LOS ANGELES, Oct. 17, 2017 /PRNewswire/ – Meridian Rapid Defense Group (MRDG) has partnered with equipment rental company eps America to offer the Archer 1200 vehicle mitigation barrier for rental in the Los Angeles market. The Archer 1200 is the best-in-class portable drop & stop solution meeting both the U.S. Department of Defense and Department of Homeland Security guidelines as well as Europe’s PAS68 certification standards.

3 Likes

Wow!
So NineMSN is now informing us we are under threat when eating alfresco and need military grade hardware to enjoy a coffee and cake outdoors. NineMSN is after all promoting a product targeting outdoor dining and cafes.

Obviously a niche product, given most pedestrians involved in motor vehicle accidents are more likely to be crossing or walking along the road. Pedestrians are less like to be killed than a passenger in a motor vehicle (2017 & 2018 data).

Thanks to Budget Direct for their presentation of the national road accident statistics.

1 Like

Yet reality is we are not totally isolated.

3 Likes

I didn’t open the NineMSN link: I detest it, and its affiliations… but I did google the topic (because I don’t trust their reporting), and found a plethora of articles about the Archer 1200.

2 Likes

We certainly are not. But at what point and in which locations do we choose to put up the barricades and raise the drawbridge?

There are so many places pedestrians share the roads with motor vehicles, as well as alongside. There risk may be the more we barricade the less secure we might feel. It highlights all those places we are unprotected. It accentuates perceptions there are forces we need to control. I’d hope Australia has not reached the point one can only feel safe eating outdoors behind an industrial style barrier. Not even a need when I’ve done so in PNG or Johannesburg. Caution always advisable.

As a niche product there may be very critical locations for such to be deployed. They are temporary and relocatable?

1 Like

Fantastic, very effective. If could be made of recycled plastic, would be 5 star.

1 Like

Except they appear to require both mass and rigidity to work when deployed, hence the steel construction.

Spectacular YouTube promotion. The medium truck uses a complex connected and weight added system.

Just note how far the first full sized sedan throws one of the 4 close spaced barriers (4.5m) or the little car where the barriers are co-joined (2.2m). Hence behind the barriers is a no go zone for diners and or wait staff.

If one is trying to close of a street temporarily for security purposes an interesting easy to move alternative to our more common concrete or water filled poly wall units.

3 Likes

And the verdict?..

I did happen to see a report on this system & as such it seems quite good however I noticed that there were planter boxes placed hard up against the rear of them. Any impact will transfer the energy into those boxes & could easily make them a projectile whislt stopping the vehicle. There clearly is a need for clear instructions on the placement & surroundings to ensure they are effective without exacerbating the situation.

Does this graph show % of deaths or % of all accidents? This is important. If you are a pedestrian or cyclist involved in an accident with a motor vehicle, you are much more likely to die than a driver or passenger. For example, a pedestrian hit by a car travelling at 60km/h is almost certain to die. The probability drops off at lower speeds, which is why low speed limits in built-up areas are so important.

1 Like

Fatalities if you go to the source.

Context. Loosing one pedestrian to a motor vehicle accident is always one too many. The same for passengers and drivers. There is no one universal cure. Unfortunately.

So many different circumstances for pedestrians, but often crossing the road or walking along side. Even crossing at the lights, tragically as for one of our extended family is no assurance of safety. One situation where barriers just do not exist.

P.S. I’m very familiar with the use of the heavy concrete and water filled poly roadside barriers. They are essential along with the speed restrictions required to ensure they are effective. They do appear around urban works as needed. The trick with barriers is having the right barrier at the right place just in time. Very difficult to predict in a typical urban street or always practical in a city.