New $5 note vending machine issues

We’re hearing reports that some vending machines, supermarket checkouts and train ticket machines will not accept new $5 notes. Have you had this experience? If so, tell us about your experience in the comments below.

1 Like

I was visiting my local RSL and there were complaints that some of the poker machines would not accept the new notes .

1 Like

That would protect people from themselves–for about five minutes until the machines could be changed😊.

2 Likes

Luckily, I have not. Should it not be up to the government to supply money that fits current technical equipment and not to provide money where all vendors are forced to upgrade? That is a huge expense on businesses that may not be able to afford to change. I can see stickers on vending machines saying they do not accept $5 note so don’t insert permanently.

The cash machines at my work only needed a software upgrade - no new hardware was required.

1 Like

Note acceptors are comparitors. They have a four way read which compares original template from the mint. at he machine has to be fed with this before it can accept. Each comparitor needs separate loading, unless the comparison is read on line.

2 Likes

We were quoted by one of our equipment vendors that it would cost us $60 for them to come and reprogramme one of our note acceptor machines each time an updated note is released!

1 Like

Parking machine at local hospital late at night, after visiting Emergrncy, refused my five dollar note. I am sure with their traffic they can afford to get their machine changed.

I had a drs appt at the neurologist at our hospital and it wouldn’t accept the new note. Thank goodness it accepted my debit card because some of the machines don’t even accept that (only credit cards). I honestly think its a pretty sad situation that people who are sick have to pay for parking in the first place though to be honest. Talk about taking advantage of the most vulnerable in society.

Coles checkout wouldn’t accept my fiver.