Netgear Nighthawk Modem is NOT NBN ready

Has anyone owned a Nightgear Nighthawk modem and successfully connected to the NBN using it? We have had no luck. When we bought it a year ago, knowing we’d have to connect to the NBN, we chose this model because it said NBN READY on the box. Unless we are missing something, I think we have been misled. I’d love to hear from anyone who may have had a similar experience. THanks

3 Likes

Have you contacted the manufacturer to confirm if the information was correct? That would be the first thing to do. If it was a misprint then they will have to organise a refund.

3 Likes

Thanks for your interest, Peter. I have started that process but my initial conversations with the call centre people in the Phillipines have not left me feeling much hope. I believe that I am owed a refund but I’m not sure how much I can bother to fighting it.

4 Likes

Then return to the retailer you bought it from. Under Australian Consumer Law they must provide a remedy or refund if you ask them

4 Likes

Do you know what model number it is?

2 Likes

I agree with @Peterchu - tell them it does not work with NBN and if they say it does, ask them to make it so.

That said, there are many forms of ‘NBN’ - VDSL, Cable, Sat, Fibre, etc - to say ‘NBN Ready’ in itself is a little presumptuous of Netgear. What kind of ‘NBN’ is provided in your area? and is the specific model of Netgear you have compatible with it? ISP’s can be a little retentive with the devices they support, not because the device won’t necessarily work, but because they don’t want to train their team of ‘support analysts’ in some far flung country how to support it …

7 Likes

You may want to check the box, and see if there are any notes in small print relating to the modem’s NBN readiness. In most such claims, there will be a footnote or similar containing weasel words to protect the maker from actually having to prove its claim.

3 Likes

It is hard to answer your question without you providing the model number of your modem as previous posters have requested, and without knowing what sort of NBN connection you have.

I have a Netgear 6300 modem router which was sold as NBN ready, and just connected to the NBN HFC modem via an ethernet cable successfully. It is now acting as a wi-fi router only, and I didn’t need to get a new router.

Depending on your configuration, you may need to use it the same way. The configuration requirements I found (which worked for me) to connect the Netgear Nighthawk to HFC NBN were:
DSL Mode
Interface type - Ethernet WAN
Internet connection - Dynamic/IPoE/DHCP
No LAN ID
Auto IP address
Wireless router mode

If you are on a different type of NBN connection or have a different modem, your set-up could be different.

Hope that helps.

6 Likes

The model number is D7800- 100AUS. Nighthawk X4S. AC2600 WIFI.
I am not technical at all so assumed if it said NBN ready on the box, that’s what it meant. Not with any buts or maybes!

4 Likes

That model is a VDSL/ADSL modem router that is suitable for either ADSL usage or VDSL based FTTN (Fibre to the Node) & (see Note (1) below) possibly FTTC (Fibre to the Curb/Kerb) as they are copper connects using your old telephone line. It is not suitable for use as a modem as a connection device to the nbn™ for HFC (Hybrid Fibre Coaxial (Cable)), Fixed Wireless, Satellite or FTTP (Fibre to the Premises). In those situations where it is not suitable as a modem (as listed) it may be used as a router connected to an appropriate modem or in the case of FTTP it may be used as your router after the nbn™ fitted NTD (Network Termination Device). In all router usage it needs to be switched to “router” in it’s settings. In the case/s where it can be used as a modem (ADSL & VDSL) it is a nbn™ ready device from what I can read about it (See Note (2) & (3) below).

So if not on FTTN or FTTC it should make a great router, if on FTTN or FTTC it should perform well as both a router and a modem. If you use it as a modem with a provider such as Telstra who do not provide their VOIP details you may not be able to get your VOIP Internet based Telephone system to work unless you use a 3rd party VOIP provider or use the provider’s supplied modem.

nbn™ Ready was an adoption of a way to show that for the type of connection it supported (this is the important caveat) that it was compatible with the nbn™ network requirements.

Note (1) I am not sure on FTTC as NETGEAR do not mention in their advisory FTTC as a technology, so this is to be checked with the nbn™ provider you are with and why I used possibly when referring to it’s ability to be used as a modem for this type of connection.

Note (2) Ok so found that it has some issues that may or may not have been addressed with firmware updates. One page that had the modem/router for sale warns with the following in red type:

" ***PLEASE NOTE - THIS MODEL SUPPORTS ‘FTTN’ HOWEVER, DOES NOT SUPPORT ‘ANNEX B’ CONFIGURATION. THE FOLLOWING ISPs WE ARE AWARE THAT USE ‘ANNEX B’:

INTERNODE
OPTUS
BELONG

PLEASE CALL YOUR ISP TO CONFIRM IF THEY ARE USING ‘ANNEX B’ CONFIGURATION IF YOU’RE ON ‘FTTN’ NBN.*** "

Note (3) NETGEAR have provided an advisory on the D7800 amongst a number of others as to the devices compatibility to the nbn™ network:

For the latest firmware update see (actual link is near the bottom of the page):

There is some older (from 2017) advice on the Optus Yes site that might be a way to workaround FTTN connection issues if they have occurred (please note this references a very old firmware version and this should not be used):

https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/NBN/New-NBN-FTTN-Connection-using-Netgear-Nighthawk-D7800-X4S-Modem/td-p/349248

User Manual for the device:

4 Likes