Netflix, Foxtel, Stan, Disney and other streaming services

7Plus is offering a lot of older shows via it’s streaming service eg Water Rats, A Country Practice, Police Rescue. These are free to watch just come with some ads in the shows.

1 Like

Yeah I know. So do 9 and 10, but the reason I subscribe to streaming services is to do without the ads. I hate them. I really hate them.

3 Likes

Kayo Sports & Binge are all part of the Foxtel Group:

"Privacy Policy

FOXTEL GROUP PRIVACY POLICY

Effective: 3 February 2021

Streamotion is home to entertainment streaming service, BINGE and multi-sport streaming service, Kayo Sports. Streamotion is part of the Foxtel Group and has the same ownership, and so your privacy is protected in the same way as all entities that form part of the Foxtel Group."

1 Like

We got an introductory year of AppleTV+ with an iPad and just took it up. It is our first streaming experience. Initial reactions:

• still learning the menu ins and outs
  • impressed with the audio and video on our 75" 4K UHD TV w/home theatre. Really impressed! It makes HD FTA look almost like an old CRT in comparison; OK not quite, but.
  • the library looks good but not outstanding

I may be evolving my views on pay TV.

Have you gone over to the dark side of the force?

I also got a year of free Apple TV with my ipad. I honestly couldn’t figure out what I was supposed to watch on it though so after a couple of weeks I hadn’t used it at all so I cancelled it to make sure I didn’t forget

1 Like

Time to get with the program? AppleTV+ doesn’t have enough of the “stuff” that interests me, but I did enjoy the first season of For All Mankind. I’ll probably resub for a month after the second season has completed for regular subscribers, and binge it all in one go. I cancelled my subscription before time was up,

I currently have Disney+ (but won’t resubscribe when the year is over), Netflix, and Amazon primevideo, which I take an annual subscription for, at $59 p/a it makes it the cheapest of the streamers, and you also get music, books and free shipping as well. I know Jeff Bezos treats his workers poorly but what can a person do… its cheap but it is not nasty. They’ve scooped up most of my favourite scifi, as well as a shedload of Australian shows, and lots of police procedural stuff as well. I never run out of something to watch. Netflix will be giveb the flick until the next season of Star Trek Discovery, Lost in Space, The Blacklist and a couple of other things, a few months to go yet. I like being able to drop in and out.

2 Likes

It appears Netflix growth has slowed so how do they intend to raise revenue? Getting it from existing customers seems their way - under testing.

A better set of questions includes whether Netflix is profitable and if so why do they need to increase revenue, except to follow the capitalistic ideology that growth (infinitely increasing shareholder value as it goes) is all important? Another is what level they need profits to defend against a corporate raider that would enforce ‘more shareholder value’?

A commentary on capitalism as it has evolved, some think it is fine and other see an end point where it cannot self sustain in its present form. That discussion not for this topic.

2 Likes

Sharing passwords is a breach of the licence to which you agreed. This isn’t simply a case of ‘how do we get more revenue’, it is people using the service who are not entitled to use it.

Sure you can share your account within a household - but since when would anyone think it’s okay to let the neighbour, or Mum two suburbs away, use the same account?

3 Likes

Youtube Premium already controls some of this. ‘Family’ members must be logging in from the family holders location at least once every 30 days or they are locked from accessing the family membership.

1 Like

It will be useful to see how this works out in the near future.

How does Netflix determine where each logged connection is relative to another? Do they aggregate WiFi network details with collected MAC address of each device? Is there some other strategy. Will all devices on the same account in future need connect through the same router, IE be on the same network?

1 Like

I’m not surprised Netflix has gone this way as many people do screen it for free.I’m with Foxtel and love it especially for the sport and now in Ultra HD i’m not far away from updating my box and TV pure quality

I’ve left Netflix entirely. That is, I dropped in for a month in January, did not find anything I really wanted to see (lost interest in some which interested me in the past, and some have moved to other services). I was lucky (or not) to be able to take advantage of a mistake in the Paramount+ subscription info. It expires in September and I’ll be letting that go too. Still on PrimeVideo. Haven’t had Stan for 3 or more years, Disney is just too expensive, overall. I’ve often been tempted by the British Streaming services (Acorn and Britbox) but have not subbed as yet. Not even slightly interested in AMC.

A range of shows on Netfix are being culled throughout December. For a list of those being removed see the following link, it has quite a few

Is a Netflix really that strapped for cash, or should I nor admit to enjoying a night in watching ‘In Bruges? Best enjoyed with a Belgian beer, they are all really good, and any meal with potatoes in it. :yum:

Thanks for the forewarning.

1 Like
  1. Isn’t this fairly standard?
  2. Is the list even relevant to Australia, given its English source? The first item on the list carries a totally different name in Australia. I have certainly never heard of Dalla Buyers Club (sic).
  3. Presumably someone, somewhere will miss Smurfs: The Lost Village.
1 Like

While it may be standard, it is perhaps a heads up if some of the shows a person wants to watch are on the list as it gives at least some warning. Whether UK based or not the Netflix stable of products are having some culling done and as it is worldwide in effect, it does affect the watchlist here.

It wasn’t posted as a criticism, it was posted as information.

2 Likes

Apologies if my reply struck the wrong tone. As someone who does not use Netflix, I have absolutely no idea whether it gives you some sort of alert if something on your watchlist is leaving in the near future. (This would make sense from the subscriber’s perspective, but perhaps not so much for the provider.)

For those who want to see the glass as half-full, the JustWatch website keeps track of what is coming onto the platform in Australia. OMG, Netflix has The Batman!

Finder has a list of departures, but it has some obvious issues. I want to know where these websites get their information!

I stand by my comment about Smurfs.

1 Like

Still have not renewed my Netflix subscription. I was intending to, for The Crown S5 but I’ve heard it just isnt as good as the previous seasons. I continue to maintain my sub to Amazon Prime Video, they have scooped up a lot of those old Aussie TV series and for those of us who like the old shows… a boon. Lots of good movies, and their new shows are decent, also. There’s a lot of dross, too, just not as much as on Netflix. Additionally its probably the cheapest :). If you pay annually it works out to under $5 a month. One does get one’s money’s worth. Prime REading + Music + video. Done. Free shipping is OK for the very few things I buy from there.

[edit] forgot to say, the only reason I got the subscription in the first place was their decision to make more seasons of The Expanse, which Netflix had, originally, and dumped.

I love Scifi, especially that which is located in and around our Solar System, because its much more believable than some of the others (not that I dont like Stargate, Star Trek, Andromeda, Farscape etc…I do!… I bought them all so I can rewatch any time!)

I’m rambling…

1 Like

Free shipping + games. I accidentally subscribed to Prime, but it is more than worthwhile.

2 Likes