Netflix, Foxtel, Stan, Disney and other streaming services

This has nothing to do with what content is available, it is a rating of how well the streaming software guesses what you like out of their catalog based on your viewing habits.

Here is one site that reviews content, there are others including some that do movie reviews of specific titles.

1 Like

One of ‘our’ (Australian’s) issues is that each of our streamers tried its best to cherry pick programming, and each won some and lost some. For those who are not price sensitive signing up for multiple services gets all the ‘cherries’ but for others who only buy one of those on offer, it is finding the one with the most interesting programming for the individual. Not counting the partner or kids view of it. (YMMV) :wink:

Comments in reviews could minimally state generalisations such as ‘gold standard for sports although some are obscure’, ‘a leader in current movie releases’, ‘lots of children’s programming’, to provide a basis for starting the ‘content’ analysis.

1 Like

I love choice, and i buy most electrical goods after reading the ratings. However after reading the ratings in relation to streaming services…

Not sure how on earth Disney plus got rated better than Netflix and Amazon Prime…ummm hell no

Maybe stick to white goods, something went very wrong in this assessment unless you like to watch nostalgic disney all day,

You seem to be unhappy with the content of Disney. Choice didn’t rate content they rated software and services.

2 Likes

I glanced through the review as a bystander who does not subscribe to any pay TV services. While I do not know exactly what Disney currently offers, I do know that it owns an immense store of intellectual property, and is pulling this back to its own product as quickly as existing agreements with subscription services expire.

Given this, I am not surprised that Disney came out on top, although I have also seen that it is very family-focused and so is unlikely to ever show some of the more adult products it owns. It is unclear to me, for instance, whether it will show all of its Marvel properties.

I suspect the market will continue to evolve in coming years as other content owners launch their own platforms locally as they have already done in the US. It will be interesting to see a platform for the BBC, which creates mountains of content. (Actually, it may well end up being BBC + ITV.)

2 Likes

To go into specifics of what @syncretic said here is the breakdown.

The score is made up of

• Layout and stability (40%)
  • What to watch (ease of finding content, not actual score of content 35%)
  • Ease of playback (10%)

Ultimately no one can score a service based on the actual content, as that is entirely subjective.

2 Likes

Totally pointless…content is everything…Like rating coffee machines without a taste test

Are you kidding me? Entirely subjective, companies with poor content go out of business.The Wall St Journal didn’t have a problem commenting on content…

It is hard to argue that point, but how can content, a personal and subjective experience, be fairly rated as compared to ‘commented on’?

I am on record that some comment is warranted, but going the next step to a qualitative rating? On what basis?

On the basis that one company has been spending a fortune developing content year on year for this platform and the other is a new player. As i posted the WSJ didnt have a problem commenting on relative content.

Noting your link is subscription walled I could not read it. But as I posted,

is one thing and is warranted, but creating a qualitative rating for a subjective element is another.

Perhaps if you presented a way to do it that was ‘defensible’ Choice might take it on board.

Dollars spent for content? Dollars spent is not generally a good metric to judge the quality or content or production, just the pockets of the production company. Disney (as a production company) has a good track record, but so does eg. HBO. Which would win by how much?

Some considerations for your approach should include how to rate sports against family shows against adult content against dramas – to make the point on how subjective it is, and then having to get into the subjectiveness of the quality of any particular programming in each genre.

1 Like

Which is why Disney is a tiny company who has struggled to achieve any… oh wait.

Whilst I understand your point, Choice generally avoids reaching into subjective areas. The purpose of reviewing streaming services is not to compare content as there are an infinite number of publications (such as the WSJ) who already do. The purpose of the reviews is to assess the functionality and consumer friendliness of each. I very much disagree with any push for a subjective-first attitude to reviewing products.

2 Likes

You make some reasonable points. I don’t think a rating of UI is very hellpful. If they said Disney because of its braod family appeal then i would have been more interested in the review

1 Like

I agree with your last line, but my point is dont review streaming services because the UI is the least interesting part of the service

I personally have Netflix, Disney +, Stan, Apple Tv+ and Amazon Prime video… (As well as Fetch TV which is a bit different).
I mostly use Netflix, my husband mostly uses Stan, my son mostly uses Disney + (And ABCkids iview which is frankly fantastic) because of our different tastes in content, but I have used all of them for personal and family watching.

From an ease of use point of view, I definitely prefer Netflix. It gives great recommendations based on my viewing history, its easy to find what I want, and it plays seamlessly between my different devices (and its the only app of the lot I can access without any trouble on ALL of my devices, including my older 2nd Gen Apple TV). Having to AirPlay from another Apple device to the Apple TV for Disney + which is only supported on the newest iteration of the device is extremely annoying (first world problems).

Stan’s lack of ease changing between profiles, especially on the apple tv and fetch box, means my viewing history is clogged up with my husband’s crime and murder documentaries because he can’t be bothered changing the profile.

Price wise, Amazon Prime Video wins because theoretically, I’m not paying for it - I’m paying for the other elements of a Prime membership and it’s just a perk. BUT I’ve also barely used it, because it overlaps too much with the others for content and isn’t as easy to use.

Netflix and Stan are very very easy to cancel and restart, and to change plans instantly. Disney + was a bit harder.

Netflix wins for parental control - I have it set so that anything rated higher than G requires a pin code, as does switching between profiles. Disney + falls down massively on this one, I have to rely on the content controls from Apple’s Screen Time feature. My son can only access kids content on the kids profile on the app, but there is absolutely nothing stopping him from switching profiles into mine or my husband’s.

If I was only able to afford one of the multiple services I have, I would keep Netflix because of it’s wider variety of content that appeals to all members of my family.

3 Likes

I have netflix, Amazone Prime, Stan and Disney for the kids. Pretty much agree with your points around ease of use etc

2 Likes

An interesting article regarding dire predictions for Foxtel.

2 Likes

Hi @Fred123 I cancelled my Foxtel subscription a while back and went over to Kayo sports. Can’t recall what I was paying but $25 / month for Kayo was a lot less. But since the virus l’ve cancelled the Kayo subscription as well.

2 Likes

I’ve cancelled Netflix for the time being, because I am spending more time on Primevideo than available hours. Why do I like it? Its scooping up a shedload of the genres I like. Scifi is well catered for and the series I’m watching arent on Netflix. I could see some of them on US Netflix if I also paid for a better smartDNS service… But not The Expanse, not Picard, not Farscape. I cancelled Stan a year ago, I used to come back to it for a month every do often to see the Marvel universe stuff but now thats gone to Disney… I don’t. I caught up with all of it during the free trial, and paid for a month so I could see The Mandalorian. However, other than Primevideo, its iView and SBSonDemand for me. SBS has some brilliant shows that you wont see on any of the other streaming services :slight_smile:

Oh yeah, Prime seems to be also scooping up Australian Dramas. Blue Heelers was one I loved, back in the day. Pretty sure there are others.

3 Likes

Another bad news story for News Ltd.