Need new eyeglasses. Where do I go?

I am sadly, needing new multifocal glasses.
So I am here asking for advice.

I have varied experiences with optical dispenses and I am seriously considering where I go for new glasses.

I used to go to OPSM, but very expensive (especially when mentioning health funds). My last glasses from there were un wearable, as they got the prescription wrong. Despite my talking to them, they wouldn’t change them.
SpecSavers - kept trying to sell me contact lenses etc. and I didn’t realize the lenses were quite cheap quality.

Went to an independent optician, and even though the service was good, they had limited stock and have since closed up.

Searching the web for advice (and Choice) still has me questioning where to go. cheers

3 Likes

If you would add your location it would be helpful for recommendations. The chains can be hit and miss as with any random group of independents, so other than recommendations for a specific shop or comments on a chain’s business practices (I share your observations about OPSM pricing and disinterest in making right) the rest may be noise.

I go to a well recommended 1-location-local now having previously been happy with Costco excepting they are not convenient for small adjustments and their local optometrists have a somewhat sterile ‘bedside manner’ that puts me off. Previous to Costco I attended a local chain for a decade but had to move on post retirement since I did not want to travel to the ‘good’ location since even the local chain delivered differing experiences between their shops.

Your local Facebook group should be helpful if you are on FB.

5 Likes

Thanks for that.
I’m glad my experience at OPSM was not unique to me.
BTW I’m in Wollongong NSW

2 Likes

How do you know this is the case? We have used Specsavers in the past and the final lens quality hasn’t been any different to other optometrists. If they are pressuring you to buy contact lenses when you don’t want them, then this is something which is of concern as they aren’t listening to their customer.

2 Likes

Easily scuffed and scratched (despite extras for scratch resistant) and independent optometrist. The glasses he gave me defiantly better lens.

1 Like

You probably found this Choice article and the the section on lenses.

Depending on the lenses sold and purchased there are indeed ‘cheap quality’ as compared to better quality.

Suggests even with coating they may have been standard optical plastic rather than the more robust higher quality polycarbonate or high index products.

I have always asked my optometrists which brand they sold; I usually specify Varilux because of my progressive lens preference and their ‘sweet spot’. The old line photo lens companies generally make good product also (Zeiss, Kodak, Hoya, etc) noting each has products to address the low and high end markets, so it is not just brand, it is product within brand.

5 Likes

My experience with Specsavers is, I purchase mid range expense metal frames. Since I’m heavy handed with my glasses, they usually only last a few months before breaking at the hinge.
Since I only need reading glasses, I go and buy some cheap over-the-counter reading glasses for $15 and they last for at least 12 months or more. So why is it that Specsaver’s glasses frames don’t last the distance?
Also when I ask to have new lenses placed in old frames I purchased from them previously, and they have survived the rigorous punishment I give them, Specsaver’s say they can’t do it. I have a graveyard of old frames.
I’ll be going in to get my eyes checked, but most likely, won’t be buying any glasses. I’ll persevere with the over-the-counter glasses until my eyesight becomes too bad to use them anymore.

2 Likes

I went to Eyecare warrawong great service for multifocles good price to they closed down due to covit but there is an Eyecare at George & Matilda Eyecare Phone: +61 2 4225 2505
Figtree Optometrists
Shop 80, Figtree Grove, 19 Princes Hwy,
Figtree NSW 2525,
Australia

2 Likes

I’m travelling a lot and picked up my last set of glasses from Specsavers in Wollongong. Generally I am VERY happy with Specsavers but Wollongong was disappointing to say the least. If you can, try another town. Mind you, I wasn’t too happy with the ones in Corrimal either…
Good luck

2 Likes

Note Specsavers is a franchise that is not a franchise per se, but looks like one.

From their FAQs - We operate on a joint venture model (or JV for short) – which is similar to a franchise model, but unique to Specsavers where ‘partnership’ is at the heart of the business.

In the JV model, there are generally two classes of shares – A shares and B shares. The A shares are held by our partners in store – usually an optician and a retail partner along with an audiologist in the hearcare business. The B shares are held by Specsavers.

As such some shops may be much better than others, so as with any franchise if there is more than one local in the group but under different ownership, it may be wise to try the other(s).

4 Likes

I’ve used Specsavers (Indooroopilly) for over 10yrs and have had good service from them. I usually get 2 pairs every second year, one pair multi-focal and one pair of multi-focal polarizing sunglasses. They’ve been very good at remaking them if I’ve not been happy with the position of the transition a couple of times. I’m only a few hundred dollars out of pocket after private healthcare rebate as opposed to when I went to local optometrist and it would cost over $500 out of pocket for one pair!

2 Likes

I use Specsavers. If you select the better quality lens and the add on’s it still gets expensive. I have only had a problem with new multi-focal glasses once and it took a few visits and eventually seeing the optometrist agaiin. When they discovered it was their error they replaced the glasses free of charge, The problem was to do with how the multi-focal prescription was applied to the lenses.

The old glasses and frames were thrown out, I would like to have kept the frames.

3 Likes

I’m surprised. I thought they had a partnership with hollows foundation. Which charity gives away glasses to third world?

1 Like

I’ve used EyeCare Plus in Bateau Bay on the Central Coast for the past few years. Never had issues with them, although they are expensive.

1 Like

I got tired of OPSM staff always changing and having to start again explaining my needs. I found a local independent optometrist who I’ve now been seeing for many years.
Cost has not been important in my opinion, I’m dealing with a professional who knows my needs

3 Likes

We’ve been going to our local Specsavers for a number of years. I’ve been very happy with their glasses, though I don’t need multi focals.
I only get the standard prescription lens with no ‘add ons’ and if I’m asked I just say no, I’ve never felt pressured.

I love the fact that I can purchase prescription glasses for $40, so I can have a couple of pairs as spares, in the car etc.
I’ve found that even when searching the more expensive frames from them I often end up purchasing from the cheaper end, sometimes from the men’s range also. The last pair I bought were men’s Superdry for $89

3 Likes

I have always been somewhat sceptical about the industry. I go to a large conglomerate. It is all good if you do not require new glasses. In every case where I do require new glasses I have been told that I can’t use my existing frames and put the new lenses in them. The two-sets-for-one deal is not what it appears in the advertisements.
Basically, my impression is there is a process line where you get tested then you are ushered to the sales line to get a complete new fitout. You just hope that if your tests are borderline that they will not be channelling you down the new glasses route and that it would be beneficial to you to buy new glasses rather than keep your old ones for a few more years.
Ok, I realize that I can take the prescription elsewhere and I did this once or twice in my younger days but I found that to be a difficult process. They just do not like you doing that.
The reason I go there is because they have a wide selection of frames to choose from. This was not the case for the independents who I previously went to. Seeing they all have the same machines to test your eyes so all that should be equal, I have settled on the large conglomerates these days.

1 Like

Good to know. I have been going to OPSM at Indooroopilly for many years. I was sorry when Joan retired as she was brilliant. She even gave me her personal vouchers for my family to get discount sunglasses once! Anyway, now I go to the store manager, Matt and find him great too. My husband recently had a new pair that weren’t working for him and they replaced them with a new script with no cost or drama. Nice to know we have good choices around our area. I do wish the frames didn’t always have to be Prada or whatever though!

1 Like

I have tried a couple of OPSM stores for several years. I have very sensitive vision, and got fed up with OPSM repeatedly not working out the correct script and/or miss-manufacturing the lenses. While they were always willing to correct their errors, it was inconvenient especially when they wanted my frame back, as wear my spectacles all the time.

I moved over to Spec Savers, who tried twice to produce lenses that ended up being completely wrong. They provided a complete refund after the second failure. Interestingly, they did perfectly well providing frames and lenses to my wife and son.

I moved to utilizing the Optical Superstore, who for the last few years have managed to get my script right, were willing to utilize existing frames, and delivered perfect lenses. The one caveat was, unsurprisingly, that they would not guarantee the frame.

Getting good spectacles is a process which requires a competent optometrist, the staff to set the optical centre correctly, and the manufacturer to make the lens exactly to the specifications. Even a slight drop in quality at one of the steps can cause the spectacles to be unsuitable.

3 Likes

Some locally owned optometrists collect old glasses on behalf of the Lions Club.

1 Like