NDIS and NDIS Service providers

The daily NDIS horror story.

2 Likes

So many terrible stories, so many bad experieinces, so many experts against the proposed processed, yet the LNP continue to ignore everything an push on regardless to the detriment of the people they are meant to be helping. Perhaps they have temporary amnesia and forgotten about Robodebt?

Unfortunately, it will be NDIS clients or people who wish to be clients that will suffer, and ultimately it will be taxpayers that have to pay legal costs when it turns out that what they are doing and propossing to do went against human rights or was downright illegal.

2 Likes

I always fantasise that government ministers should be held personally liable for anything they do (like robodebt, et al) that is found to be illegal, and they did not stop doing it once formally advised of same.

Never happen - they would just pass retrospective laws making whatever it was they did legal :frowning:

3 Likes

To be correct, the ‘robodebt’ program was found to be using ‘unlawful’ techniques in judging debts. Not specifically supported by legislation. Therefore open to the aggrieved to challenge the process.
There was nothing ‘illegal’ there and there were no ‘offences’ committed that could be pursued by the police.

1 Like

I havent read the entire thread, I only have one comment. Disability support should depend on the disability, not your age.

3 Likes

An actual good news article regarding the NDIS.

I agree.

Apart from cost savings I can’t for the life of me find another reason to stop access to the NDIS at age 65. People can become disabled at any age from accidents or illness.

Could it be argued that mobility issues etc. brought about by aging be classed as a disability? If so, perhaps they are worried about an influx of elderly and paying even more than projected now as the population ages?

3 Likes

I yield the point, and modify my comment accordingly.

I always fantasise that government ministers should be held personally liable for anything they do that is found to be illegal or unlawful and they did not stop doing it once formally advised of same.

3 Likes

Possibly. But if someone was receiving disability support prior to age 65, hitting that age cures you of your disability, apparently.

2 Likes

I have a friend who was on disability, turned 65 and was offered the Aged Pension, but opted to remain on Disability. Good thing she did, as the services etc are better than what she would get under Aged Care. So she tells me.

1 Like

The following clarifies. It depends?
Healthy, independent with support, possibly still working?
It would be most unfair to loose what you have if it meets your lifestyle and needs.

Transferring into Aged Care from the NDIS after age 65 is voluntary with several exceptions. These include moving into a permanent residential aged care facility, or if one begins receiving permanent home care after age 65.

Whether the level of support provided by Aged Care Services is equivalent to the NDIS, the system appears to offer less compared to the NDIS. Especially so for those with a significant disability acquired after age 65. There are long waiting lists for home care packages in Aged Care, while transferring into a residential facility has costs.

2 Likes

NDIS didnt exist when I was on DSP, and I was moved to the Age Pension with no choice to stay on DSP. Now if I need services I just have to line up like everyone else

They would have been on the disability support pension (DSP) not NDIS. I researched this extensively and the difference between the disability pension and the aged pension is that you are permitted to be overseas much longer on the aged pension before the pension is affected.

If not on the NDIS and over 65, the basic entitlement to services you can receive are the same whether you are on a DSP or aged pension. If someone is in need of more assistance an ACAT assessment is required, and additional support (when you eventually receive it) is based on that.

1 Like

There are two seperate issues. You can only transfer (voluntarily) from a Disability Support Pension (DSP) to an Aged Pension once you turn 65, NDIS is a completely seperated kettle of fish.

For reasons I have not been able to find out, despite extensive enquiries, is why the Government seems to want to strongly encourage people to move from the DSP to the Aged pension.

Regarless of whether you are on the DSP or the AP, and whether or not you are on the NDIS, you can voluntarily move to MyAgedCare.

If you are on NDIS, moving to MyAgedCare means that there is a complete loss of control over what you receive, and who provides it. The original tenet of NDIS was to give clients control. MyAgedCare still runs on the old 1950s model of ‘we know what is best for you’. They dictate which business provides the primary contractor service. That business then decideds who they will send out, and what they will charge. Unlike the NDIS there is no service agreement, so charges can go up at any time, and there is no control on what they provide etc.

Figures currently being quoted: over 100,000 on the waiting list for packages. The Government recently announced a massive boost which will fund perhaps 20,000 packages from the waiting list. From personal experience, moving from the Level 3 to the top-most need Level 4 means an 18 month waiting period after the ACAT recommendation. The danger is that elderly people who need this level of care can easily die waiting for the help that they need. Perhaps this is what the Government is counting on?

All up, from personal experience the NDIS for all it’s current faults (as long as the LNP doesn’t damage it as proposed) is far superior to the MyAgedCare from the client point of view.

1 Like

A person I know told Centrelink straight out that they did not wnt to be moved based on the previous incompetence they had been subjected to over several years.

They are still on the DSP.

1 Like

Lucky. They told me bad luck, thts how it is

1 Like

Another NDIS article.

1 Like

great article!

1 Like

Another day. Another NDIS fiasco.

1 Like

Another Federal senator gives the NDIS a serve.

And a young child with a unique medical condition can now walk hands free thanks to the efforts of volunteers.

No mention of any assistance from the NDIS.

2 Likes