NDIS and NDIS Service providers

The NDIS is ramping up around Australia and ‘participants’ are looking for service providers to meet their needs according to their NDIS Plans.

The NDIS portal provides a list of registered service providers, but which ones are good; helpful; understanding; give good value for money; etc.?

It is also now also possible to select service providers who are not registered with the NDIS. How to find out about them?

I have opened this thread for NDIS participants and carers, so as consumers there is a place to:-

• suggest/recommend to others registered service providers you have had positive experiences with;
  • suggest/recommend to others non-registered service providers you have had positive experiences with;
  • leave factual and informative feedback on service providers;
  • read about others’ experiences;
  • ask for assistance if you are having issues as consumers who’s service agreements not being met;

Please Note: This is not a place to get advice that would properly come from your NDIS Coodinator.

6 Likes

Thanks @meltam :+1:, hopefully it provides a useful repository for Community members.

5 Likes

I have now joined the ranks of the NDIS, and am amazed at how complex and badly developed the whole thing is. User friendly, intuitive, common sense, and easy to understand are all terms foreign to the NDIS at the moment.

I look at the NDIS portal and wonder how the ‘average person in the street’ could ever hope to navigate their way through a due diligence process to find the right service providers. The language used is chaotic (different terminology to describe the same thing between the hard copy and the application), full of codes, and, cant and jargon (except to the people working in the immediate area).

The application is incredibly undeveloped. It is like a beta version. The search functions don’t work properly excluding relevant data and including irrelevant data. It is not possible to limit searches to find exactly what you want. There are only three items you can filter on. You cant even list in alphabetical order, or proximity order.

The providers are not prepared either. When searching providers in an area entries come up, but when you click on the link, the providers are interstate with no physical presence where they are needed. Also, providers come up in searches for specific services, only to discover that they don’t provide those services (yet?).

This is like being sick in hospital and asking for porridge for breakfast. What is delivered next morning is a sheaths of oats, a couple of rocks, a camp stove, and being told the cow is outside… somewhere. There’s your breakfast. Help yourself.

Not at all what I expected. I thought that this was developed for the disabled of Australia and their carers to easily navigate through and get the specific help they require in a quick and efficient manner. What it is at the moment is a cobbled attempt that should never have seen the light of day. It is apparent that a huge industry will have to develop to assist users to actually use the system. That money would be better spent on making the system user friendly and intuitive.

Do I sound annoyed? I hope so, because I am.

8 Likes

I am eligible to sign up for NDIS but it is so overly complex and bureaucratic I will await an improvement or for Hell to freeze over. The latter will probably be the one to happen first.

I agree @meltam with all your sentiments you expressed in your last post.

5 Likes

That reads like many things government and it should not since even the most cursory oversight and review should catch anomalies and inconsistencies. Unfortunately understaffed and underfunded political horses do not have the luxury to plan and execute programs, just the mandates ‘to do’.

3 Likes

Robo-Debt gets the gong for government arrogance (from the Minister down) and gross incompetence at execution, but this must get an honourable mention or better.

5 Likes

Can’t help bureaucratic stupidity can you. Only took 3 years to recognise the problem…maybe because they were blind to it.

4 Likes

A mother receives NDIS funding to repair a wheel chair she does not have.

Waht happens when the incompetence of Centrelink is combined with the stupidity of the ATO?

You get the NDIS.

2 Likes

There are lots of horror stories about the NDIA’s ability to manage the NDIS, but there are also lots of good stories about people being helped.

My feeling is that the NDIA are doing a good job given the lack of resourcing that they are working under.

I think that Minister Stuart Roberts is more interested in saving money for the LNP than selflessly helping the disabled via the NDIS. Although he recently announced some things which may improve processes, we are yet to see whether the new legislation will make things worse.

3 Likes

It could be that the NDIA is designed to keep money rather than distribute it. It would be interesting to read its real KPI’s. This story is appalling.

5 Likes

One half of Australia seems to think this is how it is.
To P… off one big Australian State is unfortunate.
To P… off the two largest states at the same time and both sides of the political spectrum at the same time?
“Pure genius?” :wink:

4 Likes

@PhilT & @mark_m

I feel that this Government accepted very ungraciously to implement the NDIS under public pressure. Their hearts or wallets have never been in it. In fact just the opposite. They seem to see this as a burden on the public purse. Therefore they have done everything they can to hobble the NDIA & the NDIS in the hope that the Government can then justify closing it down because it doesn’t work.

If this was a system to support their donors, such as the mining industry or the banks, they would be busting themselves to make sure that the system works and the money gets to the recipients.

Hypocricy in action.

6 Likes

Unfortunately much too slow for some 1,200 people.

NDIS. The care scheme to die for.

3 Likes

In case the NDIS was not already bad enough, I spotted this ad on the SBS News homepage today.

Talk about adding insult to injury.

3 Likes

Appeals to the AAT regarding the NDIS have skyrocketed.

3 Likes

I would suggest that is only the tip of the discontentment iceberg, as most people would not think of appealing to the AAT, largely because they have no idea of what it is, what is involved, & what their rights are.

3 Likes

It would be interesting to know how the 7 fold increase relates to the substantial increase in services provided in the past few years. Commenting on raw numbers without knowing all the facts can be problematic as it may not reflect really what is happening.

The 1720 appeals compare to 391,999 NDIS participants (30 June 2020). I wonder how many participants there were in the NDIS when 215 NDIS-related appeals occurred in 2016-17. Information I can find indicate 89610 participants (about 23% less) in 2016-17.

It would also be interesting to know the nature of the complaint…were many rejected qualifications or other non-NDIS outcome based complaints.

1 Like

Good points @phb .

1 Like

Another disgraceful NDIS failure.

https://www.9news.com.au/national/ndis-disability-company-left-to-foot-70k-bill-for-terminal-man-after-support-funding-runs-out/5aa10f6a-708c-41a0-aeac-e8122afc350a

1 Like

It appears government really wants to have as little ‘NDIS’ as possible and has found a way to minimise costs possibly even below the minimum. It is a he said she said but the anecdotal evidence appears damning.

2 Likes