Nano Soma

I hesitate to use the ‘nutrition’ tag, but it does say on the Nano Soma box that it is a “Nutritional Spray” and also “Health and immune system support”.

Supposedly “extremely safe”, yet it warns “Do not use if pregnant to likely to become pregnant”

Contains “Vitamin E, Policosanol, Sucrose, Monolaurate (0.24%), Potassium Sorbate, Citric Acid”
Serving size is 1ml (5 sprays).

Sold by someone my wife knows for something like $100 for 30ml, he is a known purveyor of very dodgy ideas and products - he claims the Earth is hollow, you (also ants) can influence the weather by thinking about it, and he has aura reading machine!

@BrendanMays, with that background info, would Choice be interested in analysing it? My wife was given a bottle of it as a gift, but we have no intention of using it, and it would be a missed opportunity for testing to just throw it out.

Perhaps it is a shonky contender?

5 Likes

Is this it?

4 Likes

Same or similar potion in a different container, this one is distributed by Aurora Nanoscience Solutions Pty Ltd in Victoria

5 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion, I’ll raise with the relevant teams for further investigation :+1:

4 Likes

There is so much wrong with this product, here is the short version:

• It claims all kinds of therapeutic benefits but denies that it is a medicine to get it past the TGA.
  • They use the buzzword “nano” as it is all sciency and fashionable but they don’t explain how the active ingredient is “nano” or provide any evidence that it has any effect. “Nano” is like “quantum”, a verbal toy of the less reputable parts of the wellness industry that means nothing.
  • There is no evidence presented in the form of peer reviewed assessments that show it has any of the claimed effects.
  • The active ingredient policosanol has been studied and may have some benefits in cholesterol management but nothing has been shown about the many other benefits claimed.
  • Links to Hindu mysticism are worked into the spiel to explain why “soma” (the brew of the Gods) is included but it is all waffle. It has a spiritual connection you know.
  • On the web site the amount of the active ingredient that you are buying in 30ml of liquid for $89 is not mentioned, though it may be on the bottle if you have one. Policosanol is readily available in many competing products, you can get 100 20mg tablets for $13.75. But they are not “nano”! I would be most surprised if it turns out this is not a very expensive way to buy this supplement.
  • It uses their registration with the TGA as a supplement and the existence of various patents to hint at the efficacy of the product when the fact is neither listing does anything of the kind.
  • The principal Dr P R Raghavan is not a medical doctor but a PhD, a chemist who researches drugs. He would be very familiar with the processes of testing candidate drugs and getting them approved for clinical use, that fact that this one shows no sign of any such testing speaks volumes.
  • It seems to be an international franchising arrangement. The Oz branch trades as Magicdichol which has a prohibition order against them for contravening a code of conduct applying to the general health service.

It ticks all the boxes of dead set snake oil.

5 Likes

The word nano means ‘very small’, or in measurement one billionth.

I would think that the use of nano is probably being unintentially honest in describing the benefit of this product.