Mushrooms On Toast

The only Portabella or Swiss Brown mushrooms I could find the other day was a 375gm pre-pack of small Portabella ones at our local Coles, and as I only used less than half to make our savoury filling mixture for our breakfast omlettes, I decided to use the remainder for mushrooms on toast.

The Coles cans have a different appearance and now come from Mexico.

The ring pull tab on the first can which was dated BB 01/2023 would not work and had to be lifted with a spoon handle after which it was almost impossible to get it completely off the can.

I was finally greeted with a can of watery yellow liquid which I drained off.

The second can which was dated BB 12/2022 opened corectly and did not have anywhere as much watery yellow liquid.

I cooked the sliced fresh mushrooms in butter and then added the contents of the 2 cans and simmered the mixture for around 20 minutes.

When I started eating it on toast, I was extremely surprised and disappointed to find that the contents from the cans were quite hard.

Very disappointing.

Whilst there are many great fresh and packaged food products from Mexico, starting with the world’s greatest beer, Corona Extra, these Coles mushrooms are definitely not one of them.

Interestingly, the Coles website shows the same can label but states that it is a “Product of USA”.

Perhaps they woke up. I will check it out when I return the 2 unopened cans of the Mexican product for a refund.

1 Like