Morality in Advertising & Marketing

The article following isn’t about putting alcohol kj on display but it is still I think important to protest against the message alcohol producers are trying to elicit with this “new” product… It is so closely linked to what softdrink looks like in bottles you would be right to have suspicions about the aim of doing this:

Wrong is wrong and no matter how you try to rationilise this behaviour just to increase profits is getting obscene eg like AMP and Banks.

8 Likes

100% right to question marketing this product in this packaging and with this strategy.

Drinking responsibly is to not make a game or competition out of it.

Hopefully you don’t keep these new brewed drinks in the fridge with the lemon squash bottles!

Hopefully the industry thinks so too! There is an election on the way.

Fruit ciders are easily consumed in quantity.

A whole range of “Sweet” wines flooded our local market when the drinking age was lowered from 21 to 18, bottle shops proliferated and pub trading hours in many states including Queensland were liberalised. Sunday trading etc.

back then though

• a bottle of beer always looked like every other bottle of beer,
  • a bottle of wine always looked like every other bottle of wine,
  • and a flagon of wine looked, well, just like a big bottle of wine.
    A cask was only just a wine cask and Golden Gate did not taste like fruit juice.
6 Likes

I have no issue with the PET packaging, as many parts of the world also bottle beer in similar bottles. Many people also use soft drink PET when home brewing beer.

What is important is the labelling and its restricted availability…like any alcoholic drinks.

5 Likes

… as long as restricted availability doesn’t impinge on ‘privacy’ and ‘freedom’ (yeah - we just like to think we have them). Where I live, anyone who purchases alcohol must present government issued photographic ID which is scanned and looked up in the government system and compared against known offenders (they call it the banned drinkers register). If you pass, they will sell you alcohol - never a problem for me, I don’t have a ‘history’ on file. In addition, bottle shops and drive throughs (usually) have police in attendance who will ask for photo ID and where you are intending on consuming the alcohol you intend to purchase - the likelihood of being stopped and questioned is directly proportional to how much light your skin absorbs. I haven’t been stopped in a couple of years.

8 Likes

Seems pretty Shonky to me :lemon:

6 Likes

Alcohol producers are opposed to the introduction of pregnancy warnings on labels.

Sounds reminiscent of the tobacco industry’s tactics when plain packaging and warining labels were introduced on tobacco products.

Never let customers’ health get in the way of profits.

Thin edge of the wedge if you are in marketing or a producer. When the moral obligation of acknowledging possible risks to pregnancy gets approval. There is a long list of other morally or socially unacceptable risks arising from abuse or excessive consumption of alcohol. All could deserve equal recognition and prominence on the labels.

It’s a very different message that has been put compared to the fine print that accompanies similar advertising, drink in moderation, gamble responsibly, Etc.

Kogan got a slap on the wrist, well they lost a Court case re their EOFY advertising and that they ramped prices up and then took the advertised discount off the upped prices. No figure on the fine yet and I am going to go out on a limb and say that the ACCC will looook (a long look) for only the fine and there will be no compensation sought for those who were affected.

4 Likes

They aren’t opposed to the labelling, but to the colours. The argument is that some labels don’t use red ink in its production or use label paper other than white. These changes may impact on a minority of alcohol producers and possibly the more boutique wine producers which often have labels to make them stand out from the crowd.

1 Like

The warnings will now be mandatory.

2 Likes

Morality in marketing is about selling, and ‘us’. ‘Us’ is not so smart sometimes. [Free?] Click bait advertising, courtesy of NewsCorp. Check the prices for the products! Tasmanian water has be be pretty special :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Just like snake oil but more expensive.

1 Like

… not completely naked, tastefully adorned in a mix of oxidane and various trace element accoutrements. The image was clearly successful in marketing the products to the intended audience, while others I’m sure just appreciate it for ‘the art’ :wink: That aside, she doesn’t look happy or comfortable.

As for the wording, typical press terms of today on news, nine, seven and even abc? - they seem to love ‘frenzy’, ‘fury’ and other unapologetically exaggerated embellishments making their ‘journalism’ (being very kind using that term) more appealing to the ‘news consumer’ of today. They are as bad or worse as the bad or worse things they write about.

4 Likes

It got 3 clicks :slight_smile: I am sure they were because of my Tasmanian water reference. Now that you ‘blew the cover’ that one will probably not get a popular badge :frowning:

3 Likes

I used to post photos, mainly landscapes and gardening, on one of the free photo sites for a few friends and acquaintances. Some got useful or interesting comments.

One spring the orchard was deep in clover and the ladies were out exploring, so I posted an image of them title “Naked girls in clover”. It got hundreds of hits! I never realised that so many people who browse the nature category of photo sites liked australorps. Unless they don’t know the difference between nature and naturist.

3 Likes

… maybe more clicks if you were cloaked in oxidane in a cute bathtub @PhilT ?

… ok, don’t do a google for the string in quotes with safe search ‘off’ … note to self …

3 Likes

Apt that we are ‘news consumers’. That might confirm what most watch should more fully be headlined as ‘Consumer News’. It is targeted accordingly.

The Seven networks nightly news diverts to the Coles - ‘What’s for Dinner’ segment before the first few headlines have been fully exhausted. It’s also called a campaign in recent references after the purposeful use of it as a marketing tool.

Typical of all networks such breaks to sponsored content are preceded with ‘coming up’ teasers. These often turn out to be marketing ploys, presenting product lines delivering relief or cures for some common household conundrum we never knew we had. Consumer Salvation, Seven does it again?

I’m convinced the wise one makes a point of getting onto 7 just for the Coles segment. It’s certainly nothing to do with being better informed. :thinking: Fortuitously there isn’t a Coles within Cooee of home, so the interest is purely culinary.

2 Likes

Nine does the same, Ten I haven’t noticed so much but that may be because I’m mostly ABC tethered. Up Next might mean 10 minutes from when first mentioned…right at the end in fact, like the Go to Gympie to do some Gold mining is a recent one of the dragged out Coming Up Next ones…

2 Likes

CentreLink’s Gympie office and several Commonwealth Ministers will be keen to watch that one. A pick, shovel and pan and Covid unemployment queues will soon be non existent! :rofl:

Dream on. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Some of the Ministers and Members might join in the rush to be out with pans, picks etc to supplement their meager incomes :smile: Something to do between attending meetings by video link.

2 Likes