Mobile Phone Plan with International Text

I am looking for an economical pre-paid mobile phone plan which allows some texting to foreign countries including the Czech Republic. I do not wish to change my phone.

I am happy with my Woolworths Everyday mobile plan (renewal cost $150 for twelve months) except that it does not allow texts overseas. I tried an add-on for that purpose but it did not work.

So I would appreciate suggestions for an economical pre-paid mobile phone plan which allows some limited texting to foreign countries including the Czech Republic.

2 Likes

Hi @chbs42, welcome to the community.

If you are only sending text messages, there are online SMS service providers which allow SMS to be sent to phones locally and abroad. Example being (and not an endorsement):

There are a number of others as well.

Another option if they are friends/family, it to use a messaging app. Just get them to install the one you want to use. Note: in some countries, some messaging apps are blocked so check availability in countries you plan to message to make sure it will work.

2 Likes

I would think most mobile plans would offer international texting, although the countries included would be limited. I guess the Czech Republic would not be on many provider’s list as standard. Maybe some may offer it, for a hefty charge.

If it is messaging with others in another country, I don’t use SMS at all, which is a phone network function.

I use the Internet, and various applications like Whatsapp, email, etc. So as long as both ends have an Internet connection, and use a common app, it works.

2 Likes

ALDImobile for most of their plans do have some included countries that are unlimited SMS and Calls and a number of included minutes and SMSs for a further few countries. Sadly this does not include the Czech Republic, SMS to the Czech Republic would be paid for at whatever rate they charge out of any Pay As You Go (PAYG) credit you have placed on the phone. This PAYG credit is separate to the mobile monthly plan.

For the lists of included Countries including those with set amounts of minutes and numbers of SMS

Screenshot of the Critical Information Summary that shows the included data, SMS and Call allowances (the $19 and $22 plans are grandfathered and cannot be obtained by new users)

For the International PAYG rates (SMS are $0.25 each and limited to 160 characters per SMS)

As @Gregr notes, using Whatsapp, Signal, or similar app and your included data you could easily send SMS type text messages to someone in the Czech Republic as long as they use the same app as you are, it also enables long conversations to be had and to include a lot of pictures and other content… Whatsapp and Signal and any others are also usable from a home computer.

**Please note these rates and conditions are current as of March 2024 and are subject to change at any time by the provider. For up to date information it is advised to visit the provider’s site and obtain current detail if looking at this at some future date.

1 Like

Many thanks for quick and constructive comments. My purpose in sending SMS would be to sign up to the app mapy.cz: as the app would be on my phone, I expect that the SMS would have to come from the phone onto which data would be loaded, so that I don’t think that a separate SMS or other messaging service would work.

Aldi seems to be the best prospect, though it would cost considerably more than my present Woolworths plan.

Food for thought, thanks

1 Like

Ok, so the issue is delivery of a software or subscription activation. So why can’t that be done by email?

As far as I can tell you can download the app in either Android or iOS by going to the applicable app store.

Apple

Google (for Android)

and Huawei as well

https://appgallery.huawei.com/#/app/C101957275

Good question—I emailed the company without result. Yes, I can download the app well enough but without sending the demanded SMS cannot register as a user who may save tracks etc.

1 Like

When over there just buy a SIM and register that number. Roaming on Australian numbers can be a fairly expensive option. I wouldn’t really trust it for Australian use. If wanting something why not use Waze, Apple Maps (if iOS), Google Maps. Of course as with all these navigation aids there is tracking of the user, Mapy would be no different.

Is there any particular reason why this app and not other comparable apps.

Maps.cz requires an account to be set up to use it, hence requirements for SMS to be sent to the Czech Republic. I would be nervous about providing personal details to a foreign organisation which I don’t know much about.

Some of the reviews indicate that Australian maps have incomplete data, highways ending where they shouldn’t etc. It might not be a wise choice for use in Australia.

2 Likes

If you are just after a navigation/maps app, can I suggest OsmAnd? It has detailed maps of the whole world and works very well. I’ve used it in Europe, Australia, NZ, USA and Canada.

Mobile networks and SMS are second-best. They’re not secure, are expensive, may be delayed for a day or two, limited to mobile telephones (or tablets with a SIM card), and mobile networks constantly fluctuate in strength (although probably not noticeably in, say, central Sydney).

If you are able to communicate via a secure (and free) messaging service, like Signal app, you’ll all be much better off, and it works on all platforms and in all operating systems, using wifi.

I used Sim Corner in the US last year without any issues except that I must have got someone’s old business phone number and kept getting their calls. No issues with the data allowance as I made sure I used the Hotels free Wi-Fi when staying there. I was away for a month and it worked perfectly after inserting the sim before landing in LA.

My pre-paid phone plan with Optus recently changed to no longer include international texting without first buying an add-on. No international calls either. Luckily I use WhatsApp anyway.

1 Like