Mobile Bills (amaysim)

We have a current amaysim SIM and account, and had a 5+ year old amaysim ‘10 GB data SIM’ sitting unused in a drawer for almost 5 years after all the data was used.

Current billing showed a $0.24 cent charge for the 5 year old SIM that had been sitting in a drawer for all of the past 5 years. Perhaps cosmic rays got involved :roll_eyes:

Customer service was well beyond just unresponsive attaining all of poorly trained, clueless, and unhelpful. They continued to push back at the possibility their systems could be anything but 100% accurate 100% of the time. They even lectured as if we are stupid that a SIM in a device could cause a charge - even though the ‘device’ in this case was a wooden drawer. Can a SIM in a drawer not in a device join a WiFi network on its own and make a VoWiFi call? Not a serious question – they implied it could.

One agent reinforced the SIM in question was not ‘just’ a data SIM, it was a 10GB data SIM, still claiming a call was made using it.

The third agent argued, as did the first two, but eventually without admission agreed to cancel the charge. It took over 2 hours and 3 agents to get resolved – principle not the bogus charge for the $0.24 in play. It appears some SIMs live on in an account until formally cancelled/removed regardless of how long they are unused when the holder maintains a current account.

For those with PAYG postpaid accounts (and others) it pays to check invoices just in case. A complaint about the spurious charge as well as the ‘competence’ ( :expressionless: ) of their agents will be lodged accordingly. The ‘offending SIM’ has now been removed from the account as an untrustworthy user, as it probably should have been years ago.

5 Likes

I love the idea that a bare SIM in a drawer could have made the feral call. “HELP! Someone get me outta here!” :laughing:

4 Likes

“SIM drawers charge. Owner shocked!”

I suspect there are a lot of other suitable headlines.

2 Likes

I’m dumping my Amaysim backup when the credit runs out. Which it will do with no use on my part. They were good before Optus.