Misleading Health Advertising

The video clip ad presented by Alicia Molik which appears on many articles on Nine.com is misleading as she states the following.

“Aussie kids grow up healthy and strong whenever you feed them fresh Aussie grown food. So look for the Australian Grown logo wherever you shop.”

So anyone with a sick child who has been feeding them Aussie grown food should have some sort of recourse as the food did not make them grow up healty and strong?

I assume that the ads are on behalf of the Federal Government so perhaps the ACCC will take them to task.

Oops. Wait on.

4 Likes

Nice one @Fred123, an interesting focus point considering the discussion ‘puffery’ that has been occurring. I found a copy of the ad on Youtube in case anyone wants to see it:

To me personally, I can see how promoting the idea that nutritional planning based on using the Australian Grown logo alone could be problematic and lead to some adverse outcomes. Hopefully, contextually, and bearing in mind they are promoting ‘fresh, Aussie grown food’, people still take away the right message.

4 Likes

Way way down in this bit is this blessed disclaimer.

THIS IS AN ADVERTISEMENT AND NOT AN ACTUAL NEWS ARTICLE, BLOG, OR CONSUMER PROTECTION UPDATE.

To be honest it would take a fairly gullible or naive person to think this was news, but with click bait being what it is they might be pulling some in to buy thinking it is real advice. Even a list of references to make it look like real research supported advice. (hot linked)

That disclaimer must make it all right, right?

2 Likes

Social Media and influencers can make a substantial living from the promotion of health or wellness products. Often the influencers claims as well as the product promotions appear too good to be factual.

Marketing similar products through regulated advertising needs to meet enforceable standards (TGA). Social media and paid commentary (Influencers) have escaped advertising regulation. At least until -

Note the exception.
The change is still positive, in that it recognises there is a problem. It is presented as a benefit better serving Australian consumers by reducing doubtful product promotion. Australia’s local media organisations and advertising business, may also benefit through a reduction in marketing escaping their income streams. Of course that does not stop multi nationals from redirecting promotion towards overseas based influencers. Will ‘When I’m in Australia’ become a valuable lead in that continues abuse of the market place through doubtful product promotions?

1 Like