Mini food processor review

Check out our mini food processor review if you need a compact machine to help you chop, mix and create sauces, pastes, purees and more. We also have a mini food processor buying guide to explain common features of this appliance.

If you have a question or experience with mini-food processors, please share it in the comments below.

1 Like

Tried to do a review of one of the products.

When I clicked on write a review, it took me to the top of the product’s page, but could not find any way of writing the review.

1 Like

When buying mini food processors, I looked at the bowl capacity vs the wattage, to get an idea of the power of the thing. I rationalized that a 1L bowl with a 250W motor wouldn’t be as powerful as a 1L bowl with a 500W motor. I know that it is not exactly right, but it’s the best way I could work out from the info available. We needed close to a 1L, preferably glass, bowl to make smoothies for the family. So this limited our choice.

We have had two Russell Hobbs Classic Choppers, as well as quite a few of the Aldi equivalent which isn’t in the latest review.

You might wonder why we have had so many. Well
 They are good for small soft blending jobs, but fail on larger hard items like carrots, ice, etc., and are easily overloaded even with soft fruit, without filling up the bowl.

The wife woman has managed to break many of these mini blenders using them as if they are just a smaller version of a kitchen blender. The Russell Hobbs was the most recent, and the shaft broke near the top. Here it is only two thin bits of plastic around the outer edge of the shaft. A design flaw in my opinion, and an inevitable point of failure. On other blenders it was the plastic cog wheels within the motor assembly that failed. We’ve also had the motors spark, go “fttttt”, and fuse making an awful smell.

Some have failed in a relatively short time, and we have exchanged or returned them. Others like the previous Russell Hobbs have lasted over a year and a half. This one was the replacement we got for the broken one, and I’m thinking it has lasted about a year.

They are great for small quantities of soft ingredients, but are definitely not robust.

4 Likes

Could it be a premeditated design decision to minimise damage by breaking ‘early’?

https://www.purpleclover.com/health/2843-night-stuck-hand-blender/

2 Likes

Obviously fingers fall into the ‘soft’ category. But, apparently the immersion / hand blender didn’t break after embedding into her finger.

I don’t think you are meant to be able to get your fingers down as far as the blade with these mini food processors. So Phil you may be right that they are designed to break early, but not with the intention of protecting people’s fingers.

1 Like

I perhaps should have used the word misguided. But if one is so inclined to get their fingers in the blade a robust product would probably cut the bone off while one designed to break ‘early’ might just slice ‘down to the’.

2 Likes

We’ve updated our mini food processors review (member content):

3 Likes

What is surprising is only one of 10 was recommended 
and they all have a significant list of bad points. Hhhhmmmm
food for thought.

4 Likes

The cutoff for being ‘recommended’ almost seems arbitrary; some near the cutoff have features making them worthy of consideration, but their overall strengths and weaknesses just did not fit ‘the equation’ for scoring.

The consistently long lists of bad features does seem epic.

emulsified into a succinct list, accordingly

3 Likes