Massage extras charges

Just interested in the opinion of others….
Every couple of months I make use of some health fund extras benefit and have a massage at one of the shopping centre providers. Over the past year or so, they’ve been charging extra for the option of oil being used. For the last two times I have declined to pay extra for the oil and indicated I’m happy not to have it but if the massage isn’t up to standard, I wouldn’t be back. I told them if oil is a necessity it should be included in the price. The receptionist mentioned if I expected the cost to be covered by her meagre pay and they’d have to put the prices up. Doh. They’ve used oil each time :wink: What do other people think about this tactic of the massage place?

2 Likes

I have never heard of oil being charged as an extra by massage therapists, physiotherapists, or osteopaths. (I have utilised all of them.) It is included in the service they provide.

It sounds like the sort of stratagem I have heard used by shopkeepers in SE Asia to try and weasel some more money out of you.

3 Likes

Oil, lotions, etc., used to give a massage are tax deductible expenses by the business.
An unethical employer might also deduct from the pay check of the massage therapist, but it’s unclear to me how the receptionist could be held responsible for the costs?

2 Likes

Maybe the parlour is following chippie/bakery historical norms of extra charges for prepack sauces that everyone accepts and pays? I never heard of nor saw charges for such condiments excepting in Australian takeaways (I have not been everywhere, so maybe?) since in most places they are ‘part of the meal’. It is not unlike being asked to pay extra for a sugar packet for a coffee, a serviette/napkin, or the takeaway bag all as separate charges.

One might feel these items are a cost of business they can recover like surcharges because not everyone takes or uses them? :expressionless: I could imagine the ACCC taking the position that so long as it is published on the price sheet it is transparent and all is right since consumers can ‘shop around’ if they are not happy.

Are you in an area without choice (no pun intended)? If you have a choice why do you go back or are others in your area following along with that business practice?

1 Like

Hi meltam,
I have liked this provider because of exceptionally good hygiene and they had one particulariy good masseur. Sadly he’s gone but I do have multiple nearby alternatives.

How much extra are they asking ?

1 Like

$5 Which is about 7% extra on top of the massage charge.

Is the extra for the standard oil…or another ‘value added’ oil which some customers ask for?

For example, does the massage parlour use a generic type oil, but one can upgrade their services by buying say a ‘fragranced organic sweet almond oil’?

Up selling is becoming very common which can be annoying as it gives an expectation the standard offering is inferior or not as good as other offerings. It is a bit like going to a shoe shop where they try and (up)sell waterproofing, polishes etc.

1 Like

Any oil costs $5 more whether it is “organic “ (plain) or fragranced.

1 Like