March 2024 Food Champions Challenge : Your cheap to prepare " go to " meals

Often we are pushed for time and finances could be running low or both . My go to meal is San Remo Large shell Pasta with Dolmio Classic tomato and oregano sauce . It costs $2.50 for the Pasta and $2.70 for the sauce . Serves 4 .

For this months Challenge let us know your go to meal .

The Champions Badges for February’s Challenge were awarded to . @kpa26287 @julwood Thanks to all who contributed .

Thank you for your participation @Gaby @phb and @vax2000 . Food Champions

6 Likes

I usually have enough veg, fresh and frozen, to whip up a stir fry with the addition of seafood, chicken or meat of some kind. Quick and easy.

3 Likes

Stir fry as above or a loaded omolette

3 Likes

Sauté a little bacon, an onion, some garlic (several cloves, Australian) and as much chopped chilli as you like. Add tin of baked beans; serve on toast. Can also add some grated cheese while cooking for an approximation of frijoles con queso.
Another quick and easy is stir fried vegetables with black beans.

3 Likes

Even quicker: put two slices of bread in toaster; while they’re toasting, heat single-serve quantity of baked beans with added teaspoon of hot chilli sauce in microwave, and peel and slice half an avocado. When toast pops, divide avocado between the pieces and smash with fork, and pour hot baked beans over.

Serves one hungry person for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. :yum:

3 Likes

When I cook vegies either boiling or steaming, or roasting, I usually make extra.

So in the fridge is a ready to go mix of vegie leftovers. Saute some onion and bacon, in with the vegies, and then some eggs. Ten minute frittata in a pan.

4 Likes

You decadent smashed avo toasty person.
:yum:

4 Likes

Guilty as charged. :wink:

Avos have been cheap lately. Support the farmers and eat lots of avo.

2 Likes

A type of paella with any chicken, seafood, veggies…already in the fridge. Plus rice and vegetable stock.

Or a potato salad: a can of tuna, hard boiled eggs, herbs, in a vinaigrette sauce.

2 Likes

My all time tasty favourite is to mix all together 4 beaten eggs, a full bag of baby spinach ( or box of frozen), scramble it all & once cooked chuck on top fresh tomato ( or canned), & can season with whatever you feel like . I usually just have pepper or some dried chilli flakes.

2 Likes

Thinly sliced garlic (a couple of cloves) cooked very lightly in a good glug of olive oil, with a good pinch of chilli flakes and another of salt, and chopped parsley from the garden (if the rabbits haven’t eaten it). Stir through spaghetti and you have a delicious, cheap and very quick meal.
Alternative version: lightly cook garlic then add a tin of tomatoes and a pinch of salt and simmer for 10-15mins until sauce thickens. Can add chilli flakes or basil if it’s to hand. Stir through pasta of choice. Again, cheap and delicious.

3 Likes

Love avocado and love baked beans, however have never thought of combining the two.

2 Likes

Any sort of pasta with a can of tomatoes to which we add a bit of garlic, onion, parsley if there’s any in the garden. Cheaper and better tasting than a jar of sauce.

3 Likes

:grinning: “Why don’t we have both?”

I only discovered the combo recently myself. They go well together (IMHO). :yum:

2 Likes

Avocado on whole grain thick sliced toast. Thick buttered with creamy avo, no dairy required. Add a lightly poached egg or two and baked beans, x 2 makes a filling and easy to prepare breakfast. Avo’s have been in good supply for months hence there is always one on the go. When used as a thick butter half an avo might do up to 6 slices of toast.

Optionally add half of a large or whole small tomato nuked, fried or grilled - or any tasty or left over veg on the side.

The convenience of tinned with sauce beans option can be replaced with DIY -

4 Likes

Sounds delicious.
Avocado on toast, with or without tomato, is my go-to lunch most days. Seasoned with cracked black pepper. We always have avocados in the house, especially at the moment when they’re so cheap!

1 Like

We’ll give it a try, especially as we always have both in the house.

1 Like

One pot wonder with capsicum. Zucchini with chicken chopped up adding Aborio rice tin of corn and choice of spices and stock cook until liking salt pepper to season simmer.

2 Likes

Always do extra roast veggies, they make for a delicious omelette, yum!

2 Likes