Macular Degeneration Research News

An article regarding poor diet being assocaited with macular degeneration.

1 Like

About as likely a truth as finding genuine BS in western NSW or Qld at present.

Any one seen my magnifying glasses. :wink:

I wonder if diet is a contributing cause, or that individuals with the higher risk dietary habits have some other parallel factors that are at play, irrespective of diet.

A sample of one individual of advanced years I know well has severe macular degeneration and is now legally considered vision impaired. The wonderful lady is neither overweight, nor a consumer of large quantities of red or processed meats. Veges and salads have been a high priority.

It’s difficult to have a high level of confidence in the results of one study alone. The work to date may well point to a better outcome for all. Although recent history is littered with breakthroughs claimed, where more thorough examination has been too readily overlooked.

I can see a whole new class of natural therapies and wonder remedies coming to the world of natural medicine on the basis of this one study. All with Antioxidant properties that target the chemistry of our eyes. No where did I leave those green tea eye drops?
Just kidding I hope. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

At least a couple of years ago, I noticed some varieties of vitamins were using ingredients and antioxidants to target eye health for the over fifties. I have only seen them in tablet form thus far. Hold off on the green tea eye drops for the time being.

1 Like

You must know my aunt, who is 96, and this is her story, too. I, on the other hand, have not really been good about my diet, and at almost 70, have no such issues. Love my vegies and salads, but equally, hot chips are my downfall. And cream in coffee daily.

1 Like

An article regarding research into Aged Related Macular Degeneration.

An interesting article regarding researchers finding that orange capsicums help combat blindness.

I suspect the reason they remain rare is to do with other qualities commercial cultivars must have to be popular. Being attractive and selling well at a good price is not enough if the crop does not produce a good yield, is resistant to disease, has a good growth habit for commercial exploitation etc.

I have grown capsicums that were yellow, orange, purple and brown on maturity. None were as big and fleshy as the ones that turn red. They are all green when immature. When you buy red ones they the same cultivar as green ones just left to ripen on the bush. Grow them yourself and you can get half-and-half in the same fruit. No amount of waiting will make them orange unless it is in their genes.

Whilst at our local Coles today, I noticed that all their packs of Sweet Baby Capsicums contained orange ones, and the pack I took the photo of was almost all orange ones.