Machinery Sales Scammers - beware!

It is challenging as not providing some of the tools means that other are more likely to be scammed. Providing the tools may assist with identifying scams at this point in time, but future scams more difficult.

There are also other things prospective buyers can do, should a major purchase be made sight unseen. While it won’t help others who have been scammed in the past, for machinery purchases asking for various photos for authenticity from a prospective seller. These can include asking for photos of:

• the operator console showing the number of hours of the equipment: and
  • manufacturer identification plate showing model, make and serial number

While these can easily be taken off the net (say using stock photos), one can also ask for a photo of the console with the local paper (or if local paper is not possible, a smart phone showing an Australian news website such as the ABC) on it to allow the dating of the photo. This increases the workload for the scammer to try and provide such information and likely to cease interaction with a prospective buyer. A real seller should be obliging as it will be very easy to do if they have the piece of equipment in their possession.

With information from the manufacturer identification plate, this allows other opportunities for following up authenticity.

If one is spending a considerable amount of money, try and see if there is someone local who is willing to visit the property and verify the business in question (could be a taxi driver etc). The small cost to do such homework may save considerable amounts being lost to a scammer.

One needs to also assume of one is making a major purchase and not inspecting the item for sale, it is a scam until there is sufficient verifiable information to prove otherwise.

1 Like

Not that I am aware.

FWIW going private is a barrier to new members; in this example someone like @Col2 with much to contribute would not have been privy, and the discussion’s loss, unless or until a group member recognised and invited him.

2 Likes

Not ideal for these equipment scammers, as they claim they don’t have all the machinery at their site.

1 Like

If they don’t, they can still seek photos from the owner if they are an agent of the owner. If they say they can’t, this should immediately raise alarm bells.

It is like buying a house…if you want additional photos of a particular part of the property/house, an agent will arrange these from the vendor/seller…if the agent is unable to take the photographs.

1 Like

How does one establish the bona fides of the object de photo? I could find a photo of any used bit of machinery and send it to you. Serials? How easy are they to trace, I do not know, but if not stolen is there a traceable record?

2 Likes

Most manufacturers can provide VIN/SN look up to provide equipment details. Such as this one from JCB (have picked JCB as this is the equipment shown on the website in question):

https://servicepro.jcb.com/jcb/vehicle/lookupForm

Stolen, this is more challenging as there isn’t the same recording system like there is for vehicles.

2 Likes

I was considering using a PM to all those interested to get around any of the limitations of group privileges. Replies and the ability to link etc appears to mirror the open discussion tools and format.

In respect of individual observations, the intent was not to keep stuff secret. It’s still up to any of us to post also to the open forum.

@syncretic took some very useful and beneficial steps to follow up on the business identity in question. My first take was the web site was legitimate. A second longer look suggested three anomalies.

I posted previously some of the details registered for the company. For a fee one can obtain further independent contact details from the ABR.

I’d also suggest going to the Yellow Pages and using the phone number per their directory listing would be on the top of my list. It is a tool I’ve used previously.

A further option is to contact directly the relevant Industry Association to verify the business details and contacts and bonafides. In this instance the Tractor and Machinery Association of Australia would be on my list. While not absolutely every business is a member, the industry knows it’s backyard.

None of these require physically inspecting the prospective purchase or contacting the unknown business from their web published content.

Perhaps at some future time all the most relevant advice can be summarised in a single post?

P.S.
I’m flexible either way with a public or more restricted side discussion. I was only offering an option if some needed that way forward to be more frank.

2 Likes

Understood. Perhaps you misunderstood my point. If you had a PM Group going already, and @Col2 then joined the Community, he would not see your PM Group - until one in the group ‘saw him’ and invited him into your group. It might not be a show stopper for your goal, but something to consider.

2 Likes

Understood.

1 Like

I was thinking the deliberations would be private but the conclusion would be public without the details. So the fact that this forum is a public resource would not be hidden and people like @Col2 (or those contemplating action) would still see it on google etc and we would still be able to help. Likewise the latest subject would be public so it too showed up in searches. My idea was to conceal the detected anomalies so as to not aid scammers improving their game. Readers would need to trust that the behind the scenes work was good. I am of two minds about this but I just hate the idea of being a resource for thieves as well.

1 Like

Hi Col2 ,I got done by this one as well. Have you had any luck with police or banks.

3 Likes

Welcome to the community @GT13.
Hearing that the same Scammers have more than one victim, it is not what any of us would want to happen to anyone.

Have you been able to follow up on the prior advice of reporting your experience to the police and ScamWatch?

3 Likes

Have reported to ScamWatch and bank. Tried Police Assistance line but just keep getting cut off so will do it in person tomorrow.

3 Likes

Hi @GT13, welcome to the community and wished it was under different circumstances. We feel saddened when we hear another person has become a victim to the same scam. Hopefully your and other posts save others from becoming victims as well.

As @Col2 did, it may be worth contacting the legitimate business which the scammers have used their details and are masquerading. There website link is in an earlier post and is here. Hopefully if enough victims contact them, they will also push the authorities to take action swiftly and decisively to prevent, as a minimum, others being scammed.

Thank you for being strong and contributing to the discussion (same applies to @Col2) , I imagine it isn’t something which was easy to do to admit that you have been scammed. If more come out like you and @col2 have, it might make others more aware of the risks, be more cautious and for them to realise anyone has the potential to be scammed.

3 Likes

Hi GT13, not sure what state your in, I’m in Qld. I went to police this morning. Save yourself the trip. Jump online and do a report to ACSC, Australian cyber security centre. That’s where the police sent me. Also ring ID care, they are helpful. They’re a non profit mob. Next on your list is a credit ban. ID care will give you this information. I spoke with a cyber security guy yesterday and he said that the money goes to the Bahamas via an Aus account. The whole shit show is run by Russian nationals . Sorry to hear that you got stung. Hope this helps.

5 Likes

Hi Col, I’m in NSW. Will report to ACSC now. Just out of interest was the Bank Acc name Anthony Martello?
Probably a stolen identity.

3 Likes

There’s another one I forgot
I also rang the legitimate company that is previously posted and they have been trying to get the website taken down for a few weeks . Apparently X amount of people have to be ripped before anything will be done. They’re not happy either. Definitely give them a call. The more people who let them know the sooner the website goes. Unfortunately I assume it will be replaced with something similar. I am waiting to hear from the bank as to what may happen. Fingers crossed. Best of luck

5 Likes

Looks like action has been taken to remove/block the scam JGE Machinery website as it is offline this morning. It won’t be the last we see of the scammers as they are likely to rebirth the site as a different business, especially since it is appears past iterations were successful.

Anyone who has time should do searches every few days to see what comes up and if a rebirth is found. If any rebirths are found, please post them here to warn others. When posting include exact business name, URL, phone number, email address and location/street address. This will increase the likelihood of being found by others when doing Internet searches.

2 Likes

So sad, too bad.

I will add it to my daily list of searches for scams including webergrills. melbourne.

2 Likes

No, different bank account name. It was an anz account in Victoria. I rang ANZ and they pretty much told me to go away.

2 Likes