Looking for experiences with extended warranties

Hi all - my name is Alex, I work in the campaigns team at CHOICE. We’re looking for examples of people who have purchased an extended warranty from one (or more) of the following retailers:

• Harvey Norman

• JB HIFI

• The Good Guys

• Appliances Online

If this is you, please get in touch!

Thanks

5 Likes

Afternoon

Every time I have purchased an electrical appliance over the value of approx $300 I take out extended warranty.
In most cases the warranty has been via The Good Guys and and I have found them to be well worth the few dollars extra.
Yes, no extended warranty and problem appliances have been fixed by the manufacturer but with an associated time delay for service, but when serviced through extended warranty less expensive items have been just replaced by the store with no arguments or manufacturer time delays. More expensive items such as freezer / fridge or dish washer have been serviced under extended warranty with a few days / not weeks.
An example was a vacuum cleaner that failed (due to battery problems) 3 times during the warranty and was replaced each time as soon as returned to store. Yep maybe not a good initial buy but worked well when passed to son.
Grant

4 Likes

Hello,
I’ve had 3 positive experiences with extended warranties. All these were actioned after manufacturer’s warranty had expired. Replaced items where the old model wasn’t available was replaced with the new model of equivalent value.
1st. Printer had failed and was replaced with an equivalent item. Harvey Norman
2nd. Laptop hard drive had failed and was replaced with an equivalent item. JB HiFi.
3rd. Large screen TV lost brightness in lower 1/3rd of the display. TV picked up, repaired and returned home. JB HiFi.
Regards
Karol

2 Likes

Hi Alex, I had an awful experience in September 2023 when trying to swap a broken printer which was still under Harvey Norman’s extended warranty. Despite their tech team emailing me to confirm that the printer was broken and I should take it back to the store to swap (which I did), I felt manipulated and bullied by their staff and purchased a new, more expensive printer. I have basically given up trying to do anything about it now. It’s a long story but I have documents and records of email correspondence if you are interested.

2 Likes