Logistics of getting a script from my GP

I wish to comment on the logistics of my getting a script from a GP. I’m 60klms from a doctor practicing in a large town or alternatively have to wait and see the “local” doctor who comes up a few hundred klms from Brisbane to visit 2 days a fortnight. It is often difficult to get an appointment with this “local” doctor so we end up driving into the nearest large town. Getting an appointment to see your doctor in this large town isn’t easy either…usually a wait of a few days. Now, at present, if I want to get a stronger painkiller containing codeine that can be bought over the counter at the chemist I have to ring the chemist who is 60klms in the opposite direction to the doctor in the large town and the tablets will be put on a courier to my local shop and I have to drive into my local town to pick them up and pay for them. I do not pay extra for this courier service. We’re told Medicare is under pressure and we have to cut costs. If i have to go to the GP in the nearest larger town for codeine based painkillers that are now available without a script i will have to access Medicare for a partial refund of the cost of the GP visit and i have to cover the cost of driving 120klms to see the GP.

2 Likes

Hi @penlexa2002, I can sympathise with you regarding travel to the doc etc. My journey isn’t as distant as yours, but withdrawal of over the counter coedine-based pain killers will potentially wipe out availability for people with a low income. I live in VIC, here the local doctors don’t bulk bill, are closed on Fridays (so one has to travel to NSW, 30km each way) and they won’t see you unless you can pay the $23.70 gap, then there’s petrol costs and script fees on top. From a cost basis alone - $30 to buy Panadeine is a bit rich!

2 Likes