Log Book Service stamped by Dealer but service not done to manufacturers specs

What options are there as a consumer when finding out that service was not done or only partially done?

Welcome to the Community @wohny

Your topic is similar but different to this older topic that might be instructive into the trials/frustrations that may come into play, about a dealer using a non-approved lubricant.

Have you brought your concern to the dealer for rectification? For context was the discrepancy a major or minor issue? For example not changing out a cabin filter or not checking tyre pressures would be a different concern as compared to failing to change the oil, to make a point.

Should you have a related warranty issue that stamp should put the onus on the dealer but the reality is if the service was not correct you may have to go to a tribunal for satisfaction IF the manufacturer and/or dealer will not stand behind the warranty.

You should have received a line item statement from the dealer regarding the service, and that should reflect the normal service schedule. Is that your point of comparison or did you observe the service did not reflect the statement, or something else?

3 Likes

Your main option is to contact the importer of the vehicle . Dealers are basically a franchisee for the manufacturer of the vehicle . The manufacturer stipulates guidelines in servicing that must be followed by the dealer or else a loss of franchise may occur .

One example is oil to be used in servicing . 10w 40 synthetic oil will suit most non turbo vehicles . If a turbo 5w 30 synthetic oil would be stipulated . Some even 5w 20 .The use of the incorrect oil could and has lead to turbo failure … The manufacturer /importer can and does do spot checks on dealers to see these standards are maintained .

I worked at one dealer where they serviced high performance vehicles .Petrol was tested being used by the customer . If 95 or 98 was not being used the warranty could be voided . The manufacturer stipulated that fuel to be used .

Contact the importer / manufacturer . A dealer not doing a proper service is a blot on the reputation of the manufacturer / importer .

5 Likes

‘may’ is the operative word.

Everything @vax2000 posted was true historically, and may still be the case with some importers, but although it should be true refer to the topic I linked above for reality. Subaru was not interested about an unapproved lubricant being used that apparently caused a transmission issue, not a failure to the time of the topic. The dealer remains a dealer.

A takeaway from @Sprueno86’s experience is that unless one has a loss ‘nobody cares’ and then there is a process the consumer may win or lose.

is the platinum standard advice but many importers knock back problems to the ‘problem dealer’ for resolution and if they did not take care of it the first time, will they the subsequent time(s)?

I used to have my Skoda serviced by the only Skoda dealer in South Australia. When I took it there for a service, they accidentally revealed that they had performed the incorrect logbook service on my car, not once, but the two previous times. Their solution was that “The car will be fine” and they would perform the missing items at that service. My solution was to stop getting my car serviced with them and go to my local independent. So far, the car has been fine.

The same dealership are also the only SA dealer for Peugeot. I’ve recently had more dealings with them due to multiple serious oil leaks on a car that has only travelled 44 000 km.

The issues may be related to an existing recall on the timing belt for the 1.2L puretech engine - due to faulty timing belt manufacture or poor design of the engine the timing belts have been falling apart and could cause serious issues including brake failure. However, the dealership declined to replace the belt during the recall and instead have inspected it, once, three years ago.

They have since blatantly lied to me saying that the time requirement to replace the timing belt had been reduced from 9 to 7 years, and that not only a specified grade of engine oil is required but also a specific brand. They then quoted me a price of $2500 to do the urgently required timing belt change (at my cost).

When I asked them (and Peugeot Australia) to provide this in writing so I could put a copy in my service manual, they revealed that neither of the statements was actually true.

3 Likes