Liquid Hand Wash

Notice if you buy a re-fill of a Liquid Hand Wash it is never the same as the original product.It is always extra watery.I am currently using a Palmolive one.So i just purchase a brand new bottle every time.Probably only one other brand available and i think that’s the Supermarket brand and if i remember correctly the original was watery to begin with.So not worth even considering.Anyone else find this issue?

3 Likes

It could be because some of the dispensers now ‘feature’ foam pumps, where air is mixed with the liquid before dispensing, creating foam.

Foam dispensers need more fluid/runny liquids…which is why the refill may be more liquid…to allow use in both ordinary and foam dispensers. It may be worth checking the label to see if this is the case.

While we use a liquid handwash but don’t buy products labelled liquid handwash. We buy other products labelled for other uses which is a lot cheaper per litre and works just as well. The ingredients are also the same/similar.

5 Likes

The way I determine how watery two different bottles are is to turn them over at the same time. The one where the bubble reaches the top first is is the runniest.

I use this as a Rule of Thumb for all sorts of detergent products, and even for some food items where you can see through the container.

So, get an original hand wash and a refill, and do the tip test to see which is thicker.

3 Likes

No. We only buy dispensers when one fails and always buy the refills. Never noticed ‘extra watery’ refills and usually get the store labels unless the branded ones are on sale.

As @phb wrote, the refills for the foaming dispensers are indeed much more watery than the traditional pump variety, and we have both types with the different refills to suit each.

5 Likes

Also, if using a pump dispenser, being slightly runner won’t affect the amount of liquid handwash being dispensed, if one uses the same number of pumps to wash ones hands. The pump system is such that the same volume should be dispensed irrespective of the viscosity if the fluid.

Another reason for slightly runner refill bottles is the liquid may be that the liquid is made runner to make decanting/pouring from the refill bottle to the pump pack easier. Thicker liquids tend to have thicker flow widths from bottles and more difficult to get the stream of flowing liquid into a smal pump pack opening. Thicker liquids would also come out in pulses as the vaccum in the container results in a bubble of air going into the liquid to release this vacuum. Thinner/runnier liquids allow air bubble to flow througih them easier meaning a more constant stream of liquid.

4 Likes

I buy my liquid soap in solid bars and cut it with oxidane at time of application. Refills are a snap and transport issues resulting in spillage are eliminated …

3 Likes

Be careful, people have died from inhaling too much oxidane into the lungs. :smile:

2 Likes

This idea of thicker is better is a good gimmick. They thicken many of these products because we tend to perceive if it is thicker it must have more cleaning power. The reality is more likely they added thickening agents or an agent to create the illusion. What really matters is how much of the cleaning agents are in it rather than how thick it is.

@draughtrider’s solid liquid cleaner is the best :slight_smile: And the extra manual effort required to spread the product over the skin may have added exercise benefits :rofl:

2 Likes

Maybe it’s my imagining, but I think I use less of the thicker handwash stuff than the runny stuff. Maybe I’m thicker and have been won over by marketing. Oh the ignominy if that’s the case!

3 Likes

Interesting responses.It’s funny because one particular one i have found the refill has been like water out of a tap.Still works but you got to be careful as it can go everywhere lol.Naturally leaving a mess behind at times which can be annoying.Still not sure why the original and refills are different

3 Likes

The new foaming handwash is just watered down product. When your bought one is empty buy your preferred non foaming handwash fill the foaming handwash container 2/3rds full of water and top up with regular handwash. Voila foaming handwash at 1/3rd the price. You could probably experiment to see how little product you need to get foaming handwash!

3 Likes

My concern with liquid soap refills, is the product made in Australia? Don’t waste money on overseas made soaps. Secondly, I never buy the “antibacterial” version - we are using too many antibacterial chemicals.

1 Like

and here,

the ‘verdict’ apparently remains out here since business is important, people less so. At least business seems to be doing the right thing despite government standing back.

5 Likes