Life Expectancy

Not sure how this would fit in. :thinking: Tests of joggers perhaps?

2 Likes

Based on a sample of 1000 born around the same time more than 40 years ago. All from Dunedin, New Zealand.

As well managed as the study might be, there is a built in bias in the data set. It may be representative of the whole of humanity, or it may be an outlying sample. Perhaps like NZ claims that the local honey provides special properties, there is also something in the grass the cows graze. Too much good NZ dairy makes you walk slow? :wink:

Do we now have some interesting science that confirms what we all know? Some of us keep our baby face good looks and spritely health for longer. Others would suggest it is all in the mind, and a regular 50km training ride most early mornings; a low fat, low salt, low sugar, low beer, high fibre, organic only diet works best. If there is ever a local Aussie study of those factors, can I volunteer for the control group, please?

Is it possible that those that can do, and those who can’t don’t? The NZ study is suggesting for some of us our life outcomes may be predetermined. More questions than answers! :thinking:

1 Like

It could even be the genetic traits of those living in Dunedin, lifestyle choices there, the water they drink, pollution in the environment and so on.

2 Likes

There have been Australian studies and British studies of walking speed and the likelihood of death. Anecdotal evidence showed as people’s mobility reduced their likelihood of death increased. Nothing amazing, a healthy person walking normally compared with a person shuffling, or bedridden - which do you assume will die first?

I first came across this concept in an ABC on-line News Health & Wellness article, and on an ABC TV program, the final question was “how fast do you have to walk to keep ahead of the Grim Reaper?” I can’t remember, but I thought it was about 3.5km/hr.

I came across various research papers when I did a course on Falls Prevention through Newcastle Uni (on-line Future Learn). Observing gait is important for predicting falls. A fall in an elderly person is more likely to break a hip, and a good percentage of them never come out of hospital. Another example of reduced mobility predicting a likelihood of death.

A person with mobility issues usually has other contributing factors, such as poor circulation, muscular degeneration, balance problems, broken bones, arthritis, osteoporosis, stroke, amputations due to diabetes etc. After Mr Z’s heart attack & discharge, the Cardiac Rhab did a number of assessments, one was to observe him walking up and down the passageway.

I also came across the research in other courses. Health workers can predict longevity by scoring the individual’s ability to get up off the ground. The gold standard is being able to stand without putting a hand or arm or whatever down to do so. People who have to roll onto all fours and find something to drag themselves up, or even worse, are unable to get up are statistically more likely to die than the fitter person.

2 Likes

So thats why I’m so decrepit! Always was a slow walker. Now I can barely walk at all.

2 Likes

I cycle a lot more than I walk, and that keeps me well above 3.5km/hr, for an extra margin against the Grim Reaper :wink:

1 Like

You could also point to the ‘Southern Man’ and Speight’s as evidence. :wink:

P.S.
Pollution may not be so much a concern, although with the locale frequently wrapped in dense fog and mists, who could really tell. Perhaps walking slow is an aid to being able to find your way. But walk too slow and you risk being frozen solid, terminally, like an ice cube. One of those places that can be great to visit, but takes a special kind of person to live there. What would Darwin think?

1 Like

Apparently, most of us are past our “best-before” date.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-019-54447-w