Lenovo All In One Desktop

I recently purchased a Lenovo AIO…ideacentre AIO 730S24IKB $1300. Just before Xmas, I started experiencing trouble with the SD card reader. After several attempt by their support staff to rectify by remote access, they decided that the unit needed to be sent to their Repair Centre in Sydney. Bear in mind that this is the only Authorized repair location in Australia. The repair centre maintained that there was nothing wrong and returned the unit to me without replacing the SD card reader. I was without my computer for about two weeks. After receiving my computer back from Sydney, I experienced the same problem, so the whole process started again with the Support Team. I sent them pictures of all the screens containing the error messages and still it was not fixed. At this stage, I requested a full refund. This was declined because they considered that this was a minor fault and only warranted a repair and wanted me to send the computer back to their Repair centre in Sydney. At this stage , I have refused to do that as I am still able to use n external card reader($5.00 on EBAY). So, if anyone is considering purchasing a Lenovo AIO(not sure if this applies to all their products), let it be known that if there is a problem, you will have to send it to Sydney. Bad luck if you live in Perth.

1 Like

Sorry to hear about your problem @bottville. Thanks for your warning, but the SD card reader not working
seems to be a problem with some Lenovo machines.

From what you have written I take it that

1. the problem is consistent and happens every time you tried to use the SD card reader
  2. the SD card(s) work in the external reader, so there is no problem with the card(s). Have you tried different SD card brands to see if it is a consistent problem?

This seems to be a problem with some Lenovo machines. Support at Lenovo suggest a series of steps which includes that you try cleaning the SD card reader, uninstalling the driver for the SD card reader and reinstalling it. They also suggest updating the BIOS to the latest version.

If you’ve already tried all that, the external card reader will have to be the way to go.

2 Likes

Thanks for the response. I have spent endless hours on the phone with various tech “experts” who have tried everything. I told them I would be willing to take my machine to a repairer in Brisbane but they wouldn’t authorize this. I have had a computer guy come to my house to diagnose the problem and he is convinced that it is a faulty reader. I have tried different cards. I even bought two brand new Sandisk cards to no avail. I suggested to the repairers that, while they had my machine in their possession, they replace the reader, but they refused. Very poor customer service. To have only one repairer in Australia is ludicrous.

1 Like

All of those suggestions are ones that HP should have performed when the AIO was returned for warranty? BIOS flashing or software updates are all issues related to HP if that is the cure.

AIO are based on laptop design and components. It may be the SD physical card holder reader is integrated onto the motherboard. Not a simple low cost repair?

It may be the motherboard has a defect or faulty component. Odd that it cured itself for HP then reappeared on return to the purchaser?

Accepting the work around with an external card reader might suit for an older PC. It makes little consumer sense to do so for a new AIO still under warranty. Excepting the loss of use of the product and disproportionate effort on the consumer in returning the product each time.

It may be worthwhile @bottville contacts HP directly using the details provided on their customer support charter to lodge a formal complaint.

Contact HP | HP® Australia

1 Like

Thank you Mark. If it was HP,I probably would not have a problem. It is a LENOVO

2 Likes

What terrible experience. I wonder if they tested the SD reader?

Did you send an overview of what is wrong with the desktop with the machine. For example, writing a one page summary of the problem, what you have done to try and resolve and what the outcome was (similar to that you have presented above. Such should be stuck (say with sticky tape) to the side of the desktop before shipping.

It could be that the service centre booted up the desktop, run a diagnostic test and deemed that there was no problems without specifically inserting a SD card and testing it like you have done.

I would also be stating that you don’t want it returned until a specific test on the SD reader is undertaken…and it is repaired/SD reader replaced if the same problems occur in the service centre.

Also see if the tester can call you when testing so you can run through the problems you are having and to provide you with a summary of what they have/haven’t done before it is shipped back to you.

They might say that the SD reader can’t be replaced for some reason (such it is build into the motherboard…or it is a software/driver and not a hardware issue). If this is the case, you can request a refund as the product can’t be fixed and the fault results in it being not fit for purpose as you require the SD to work to allow you to fully use the desktop.

Good luck and keep us updated with any development.

Have you tried things like this:

Thanks for you interest and effort. I have tried all I know including all the youtube advices. I was contacted by the tech support(not the repairer) when the machine was in Sydney but they would not allow me to speak directly to the repairer. I have sent photographs detailing each step and the resultant screen showing the error messages . They requested this so they could see that I had the card in the reader. Three tech people have been given remote access to my computer and therefore could see the scree as I performed tasks that they asked, but this did not show them what I was doing at this end. Hence the photo requests. Still this was not good enough. I had last been dealing with the Services Compliance Manager who made the decision not to refund as I had requested. He was less than helpful and, may I say, rather obstinate and dogmatic, saying that since it was only considered to be a minor fault, I was only entitled to repair or replacement under the warranty terms, and not a refund.
The bottom line is that

1. I have sent the machine to their repairers and they did nothing.
  2. I have given them the opportunity to fix the problem on-line.
    Their best response was to offer me a “FREE SERVICE” but I would still have to send the machine to Sydney again with no guarantee that they will do anything. The biggest hurdle I face is getting them to acknowledge the fault.
    I am not going to send my machine away again, so I have a few options left. Contacting the head office, as you suggested, or making a claim through QCAT.
    I will see how much endurance I have left. They do tend to wear you down after a while.
1 Like

@bottville, it reads like you have been playing their game, not your game and that request may not have been ‘formal’.

In some cases companies have and do take such statements as your clear position the fault is ‘no big deal’ and thus minor, so careful what you state to them.

My son had a dodgy Kogan notebook and they played the game with him until I helped him write a letter of complaint. He got a new replacement forthwith with Kogan reimbursing all shipping costs.

Suggest you immediately formalise your problem with an ACL letter of complaint citing chapter and verse of what the machine is supposed to do, their claims of quality blah blah, and your detailed experience. State clearly and unequivocally what you want them to do about it. Send it to the MD, head office, and cc ‘customer service’ and ‘tech support’.

Good luck getting it sorted.

3 Likes

Thanks. I will heed your advice.

3 Likes