Latex mattress...can you recommend....no choice review

I’ve been forced to change my mind about this… I injured my back a few weeks back and it was gradually getting better but has taken a turn for the worse in the last few days. Foam mattresses do not provide the kind of support needed for turning over in bed, for changing position in any way, and for getting in and out. Each time seems to exacerbate the problem.

Everything is good as long as you are not actually in pain. When you are, all bets are off. I now remember that my latex mattress of years ago had the same issue, although it was much firmer than today’s foam. Off to read sprung mattress reviews.

2 Likes

I once owned a latex mattress. I used it for three months and then gave it away. It was horrible in Brisbane’s climate. I would wake up lathered in sweat and it was so heavy to turn or move.

I would definitely NOT recommend them.

2 Likes

I liked mine. It was the weight that defeated me in the end.

2 Likes

I asked initially asked for advice. here.
Gave in, bought a great IKEA mattress. Pocket springs and latex. And an ikea topper with gel foam, all against my health views, BUT amazingly comfortable. Springy and supportive and soft. The ikea mattress was reviewed by choice…got high points. I put a bottom sheet on the spring mattress and leave it there, treating it like a spring base. I make the bed on the 7cm or so topper so avoid any heavy lifting. Good price.

4 Likes

May I ask how heavy the mattress is? nd the topper? I’m still stuck on my old Lazybed, and I know I need to update…

Which Ikea mattress and topper, they have so many different ones…

1 Like

Yes Hyllestad. Mattress 549$ Reviewed positively by Choice.
Knapstad topper. 249$
Both bought online, not seen. Wanted a topper so I could use it as mattress for bed making plus comfort.
The mattress is white covered, I have a double and sleeping alone.
It is springy, but does not have enough top layer. It’s a good basic look.

The topper is satin quilted on one side, smooth the other, which I find distasteful. I chose on reviews online. I have had a bamboo cover cheap gel foam topper not Ikea, but which looked wholesome and normal, and cost 120$ for double.

People say krappstad iis slippery, yes it does slide a bit and need to be pulled back every few days.I am waiting for the bottom sheet to be delivered for the mattress base which might be rougher than the top of the mattress. It is amazingly comfortable with a wool doona on top and luscious underneath,
I you are going to ikea you can judge I decided to just get the thickest because I am using the topper like a mattress in making the bed the Scandinavian way. This is much easier. Good luck.

2 Likes

Thanks for all that info, I can’t get to Ikea, I would have to have a delivery. I’ll definitely look into it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sue, I got the delivery men to stand the mattress on its side alongside the bed, so I could pull off the wrapping and then just give it a push so it fell onto the base. They both needed some days to lose smell before I slept on them. This is normal.

4 Likes

The boxed mattresses also need a few days to regain their shape after being ‘released’ from their compressed state. It is suggested not to use them over this period.